Intermittent loss of power steering

/ Intermittent loss of power steering #1  

CandorNY

Tractor
Iron Horse IHT254
The power steering on my Iron Horse (Jinma) IHT254 seems to work fine when it is cold, but after about an hour of use turning the steering wheel applies very little steering pressure. You can spin the steering wheel and nothing happens.

Hydraulic fluid appears to come from a gear-driven pump on the right front side of the engine through a priority valve to the steering assembly which the Operator's Manual calls a "balance string type hydraulic steering gear". It also feeds a front-end loader which works fine.

Any ideas how I could troubleshoot this to determie what is going wrong?

Thanks

Bob in Candor, NY

/ Intermittent loss of power steering #2  
My first guess would be that the cylinder that actually does the steering, hydraulic cylinder, is bypassing fluid. The seals have gone bad. Its a $25 kit to rebuild it and very easy. I had to do it to mine and so have many other.

The reason it works fine at first is the fluid is cold and thick making a good enough seal but when it gets hot it thins out and bypass the seals easily.

Any of the supporting dealers here will have the kit for your tractor. Just tell them if you cylinder is front mount, across the front axle. Or if its side mount going from the left side if the tractor near the oil filter to the left front tire. They made both types.

Chris

/ Intermittent loss of power steering
Thanks for the advice.

I plugged the hydraulic line going to the cylinder and I couldn't turn the steering wheel -- indicating, in my opinion, that the steering control was OK.

I then took apart the hydraulic cylinder that does the steering and I discovered two defective plastic rings. They were folded over on one side indicating the piston assembly was jammed into the cylinder with great force and without proper centering. For about two hundred fifty hours the steering worked reasonably well, but apparently after some wear they began to leak badly.

I found a couple O-rings at a local hardware store that were pretty close to the same size. It works better than ever now.

Total cost $2.23. :)

Thanks

Bob in Candor, NY

/ Intermittent loss of power steering #5  
Good fix and trouble shooting. I just wonder how the o-rings will wear? Like I said before, if you need a cylinder rebuild kit they are about $25 and you will be good to go.

Chris

/ Intermittent loss of power steering #6  
I found a couple O-rings at a local hardware store that were pretty close to the same size. It works better than ever now.

Total cost $2.23. :)

What is the material the O-rings were made of? Most O-rings for hydraulic service are made from Silicone, Buna-N, Polyurethane, or Nitrile. Bet you got rubber or neoprene. Oh well, at least you know how to change them out quickly now.:thumbsup:
$25.00 for the kit is cheaper if you consider your time and machine down-time is worth something. :cool:

/ Intermittent loss of power steering #7  
A few pictures of my bad seals, Jinma 254 . Steering wheel never quit turning , was worse one way more then other. Got to were it did not turn at a idle sitting still.Took off one hose , not running, turned steering wheel and the oil went in through the hose that was still on and out the cylinder fitting were I removed the hose Ordered from Tommy ,had them in two day, seals for sure a lot better quality then originals. What a difference it made. Wished I would have done it a year ago. Mowing with it like that was like paddling a canoe.
https://picasaweb.google.com/110744109597898876387

Last edited: