rear axle oil leak

/ rear axle oil leak #1  

Gramps in NM

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n, 2005 Taskmaster (Dongfeng)
OK, now onto the next little thing. While I had this sitting in the garage for the power steering repair it became apparent I have a small oil leak to somewhere in the rear left axle hub. The unit has disc brakes so that is not affected if I understand the parts brake down. The only thing that might have a seal/gasket on it seems to be the outer bearing. Could this be a combination thing. There is no seal shown anywhere near the outer part of the axle/hub setup. OR am I missing something?
See attached
#1 is tapered roller bearing
#2 Bushing
#7 shim
Just like to have an idea what to look for when I pull the tire/hub etc.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 598
   / rear axle oil leak #2  
It's the diagram that's missing something. What I see depicts the transmission shaft, a few pieces of the differential, and some of the guts from the left half of the rear axle housing. But no actual axle shaft, which is where I'd expect to find the seals. Is there perhaps a page missing from the manual?

//greg//

/ rear axle oil leak
It would appear that you have hit on something Greg. I can't for the life of me figure out some of these breakdowns along with the nomenclature. Do these two additional pics help? There are plenty more if these don't fit the bill.
On fig.21 item 13 (2each) are described as oil seal.

It's not that I am unwilling to tear into this, it's just that I want to know if needed parts are available first and also what to look out for as potential problems. After all, I am very much a novice even at my age.;)

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    916.4 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    930.7 KB · Views: 708
   / rear axle oil leak #4  
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. That diagram 18 basically shows what's between the transmission and the rear differential housing. Diagram 19 then shows the actual rear differential housing. If you're wondering why there are two holes per side, one set (the lower I believe) is for the axle housings themselves. And I think the other set is for the brakes. Nothing else there of interest to this particular discussion.

But diagram 21 actually depicts one of the two individual rear axle housings and its contents. It's the cast shell that extends between the differential housing right and left to the rear wheels & tires. That's where you'll find your leaking oil seal(s)

//greg//

/ rear axle oil leak
You are correct as to the major holes in the housing in fig 19, the upper holes are for disc brake housings that attach. When I got to fig 21 I new you were correct about other diagrams. I never looked at it in the beginning as it said transmission. Never know how things will be labeled. As I said in the earlier post it appears that item 13 is the seal needed so I'm going to proceed on that basis.
thanks again
Gramps