Best way to fix this???

/ Best way to fix this??? #1  

matthoffman33

Tractor
Taskmaster 432e
Hi all, I own a Taskmaster 432e - had it for about 2 years now and have had no problems. Recently I noticed my PTO is grinding when I engage the lever. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the plastic shim came completely out of the clutch pedal. Any suggestions on the easiest way to get the back where it is supposed to be? I tried tapping it in to no avail. I'm guessing this will make the difference for fully disengaging the clutch? Thanks for the help, I also attached a picture to make it easier to understand!!

Attachments

• HPIM9376.jpg
    HPIM9376.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
   / Best way to fix this??? #2  
Only suggestion might be to disconnect any linkage and spring tension from the pedal so it can be moved around freely. Wiggle it around the center of the opening and try to slip that shim back in.

If the shim is to big, maybe squeeze it with a hose clamp close to the end that has to slide in, like a ring compressor.

JB.

/ Best way to fix this??? #3  
When did they start putting plastic in "Tractors"?

I was at the local TSC store, yesterday. The Toy tractors and implements, like I used to get as a kid, are now plastic, rather than metal. What is the world coming to?

/ Best way to fix this??? #4  
Yeah, spring tension is causing metal on metal to the point where it won't permit you to slide the nylon bushing back in place.

But that's likely a negligible part of your grinding problem. Block the wheels and remove the inspection plate from the side of your bell housing. Put the tranny in neutral and have someone turn the crank pulley. Watch as the clutch release fingers rotate around, and note how far away they come from the face of the throwout bearing. The prescribed gap is 2.5mm (~1/8"). If the gap is too wide, you're not going to get full pedal travel, which won't fully release the PTO clutch. The adjustment at the yoke on the external clutch pull rod. In some cases it may also be necessary to screw the stop bolt in a little to finish the job.

//greg//

/ Best way to fix this???
Thanks for the info guys - I'll take another look at it my next set of days off.

/ Best way to fix this???
Morning,
So, I haven't touched my tractor in the last little while as we've had no snow here and I haven't started it in the past few months!! We finally got some snow the other day and when I went to engage the PTO for the snowblower I could not engage it as it would just grind when I tried!! Shifting gears is no problem - no grinding or other noises, jus the PTO. Sorry Greg - I took the cover off yesterday and tried to see exactly what you're talking about but wasn't 100% sure. I'll take some pics and post them if you wouldn't mind walking me through it!! Is fixing this problem going to involve splitting the tractor? The clutch pedal has already been adjusted to the max by the previous owner so there is no more room left for adjustment externally!!

/ Best way to fix this??? #7  
The clutch pedal has already been adjusted to the max by the previous owner so there is no more room left for adjustment externally!!
That's almost certainly the root of the problem, if not the whole problem. Short of simple incompetence, there's no reason whatsoever to arbitrarily adjust a clutch pull rod to that extreme without additional troubleshooting (to find out why it was necessary). I was going to suggest that you could fix this with a simple external adjustment, no splitting required. But once I read that last part, all bets are off. Hard tellin' what you're dealing with inside now.

Anyway, a few photos can't hurt. Maybe something less complicated will jump out at us.

//greg//

/ Best way to fix this??? #8  
Hi all,

I'm a newbe registered member but i was looking at the forum for some time.

As for the PTO clutch, could it be just the clutch disk that ctick to the pressure plate or the flywheel. As the tractor sit for some month this could happen on the traction too, deja vu. To fix that you could not fill the bell housing with WD40. The disk clutch will be saturated of that stuf. Check first if all the fingers clutch (3+3) are moving and with their proper gap. Then i'll try hitting the pressure plate with the clutch pedal fully depress, and keeping my fingers cross.

Bye Jacques :)

/ Best way to fix this??? #9  
first turn off the engine and engage the PTO then start the engine after warm. run normally for a while might start hard initially with the extra PTO load on there. make sure everything is safe in there prior to starting it though. also dont beat on clutch probably wont help but yes could be rusted up. otherwise additionally sli[ping main clutch slightly to warm it up could also break the PTO loose...

additionally you can try turning off the engine pull the trans into neutral and try turning the PTO manually having the PTO IN will transfer the PTO rotating into the engine. you HAVE to make sure the KILL lever is {PULLED} so the engine cant start up. using a PTO shaft that is square on there means you can put a big wrench on it and work it back and forth against the engine compression to help break stuff free.

dont spray anything on there other than maybe some brake cleaner as oil will ruin your clutch toot quick.

BTW the MAIN clutch is first dis-engaged and as it pulls away from the flywheel it pushes into the PTO clutch and then pulls that loose. SO if the MAIN is adjusted poorly it will affect the PTO clutch as well. Johns Tractor site (Not sure if it is still up) has a very good written explanation on how the two clutches interact. ya all my pics & a few of my tech info help there. sorry I dont have a copy of it any longer and there are other very good info there. here is a lot of good info not sure if John is still around but his compiled info is there :D
http://johnstractor.homestead.com/JinmaInfo4.html

mark

/ Best way to fix this??? #10  
As for the PTO clutch, could it be just the clutch disk that ctick to the pressure plate or the flywheel.
Nope. Not if stuck to the flywheel anyway. And I've experienced a PTO disc sticking to the flywheel myself. and nothing's impossible, but I've never heard of one sticking to the opposite pressure plate. So even if it was stuck to the flywheel, fully depressing the clutch pedal is still supposed to relieve tension from both Belleville springs. Then with no pressure pushing against the PTO friction disc - stuck or not - there should be no grinding when trying to engage the PTO lever. There's actually a way to test that, but I'm not sure what it would prove at this point.

Unless there's something else wrong, which is what I suspect. A stuck PTO disc wouldn't explain the described gross maladjustment of the external linkage either.

Oh - and I'm actually not positive about this - but I'd be surprised if the TM432e has a 6 fingered clutchpack. Odds favor the 3 finger type. That will become important if/when it comes to the point where some internal adjustments may be possible.

//greg//