YD485 Frost Plug

/ YD485 Frost Plug #1  

biggerten

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Jinma 354LE w/YD485
or freeze plug or casting plug, whichever terminology turns your crank.

I have a 2006 Jinma 354 with the YD485 4 cylinder. I have always wanted to install a frost plug heater, but am hampered by not knowing a specific heater number, or at a minimum the size of the frost plug.

Does anybody have that information? A KATS part number would be great.

/ YD485 Frost Plug #2  
I installed one on my DF,(Changchai 490 engine) but have read somewhere, that you can't install one on the Jinma's. I'm sure one of the dealers will chime in. With help from Ray H. (Devvon Tractors - Information ) to identify the right Temro heater. The catalog below has sizes and applications. Further down in the catalog, you'll find diameter sizes and specific engine manufactures. Easy install and very effective.

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/userfiles//2011_Zerostart_Catalog.pdf

Hope it helps, Dave

Also just saw, you were in on that thread as well

Heres alink to the install

http://ctocf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dongfeng&action=display&thread=1409

Last edited:
   / YD485 Frost Plug #3  
I have a 284 and the frost plugs in that are so small that I went to UAP and bought a heater that is installed in the large supply hose from the rad to the pump. It was a easy fix and works well. Drain your block gently remove the hose from the pump and measure your pipe off of the pump, that is the sise of heater you need. The instructions that come with the heater are easy even I can do it!:laughing:

/ YD485 Frost Plug
I have a 284 and the frost plugs in that are so small that I went to UAP and bought a heater that is installed in the large supply hose from the rad to the pump. It was a easy fix and works well. Drain your block gently remove the hose from the pump and measure your pipe off of the pump, that is the sise of heater you need. The instructions that come with the heater are easy even I can do it!:laughing:

I have installed a lower hose heater, but I'd prefer a block heater.

/ YD485 Frost Plug #5  
Hey Tom,

have you think about an Tank Type Heater with Circulation Pump?
I get one from Arto last Winter and it works great.
2000Watt and 9l/min Pump build in.
It takes 20 to 25 min to heat the Coolant up to 65ーC at -10ーC to -15ーC outside Temperature

/ YD485 Frost Plug #6  
I have a 2006 Jinma 354 with the YD485 4 cylinder.
I had a 2006 TaiShan TS354C with a Y485 engine. I have nothing against a block coolant heater, if it's threaded in. But the Y485 plugs are pressed in, and I don't trust that type block heater not to leak. So I went with an oil pan heater instead, and will provide amplifying details - but only if you're interested.

//greg//

/ YD485 Frost Plug
Nuno-

Is that spliced into the bypass?

Greg-

Thanks, but I'm not enamored of heating the oil, I really want a coolant heater.

The block heaters are ideal in my opinion, heating the coolant and water jacket, meaning cylinders and all. They deliver the energy right where it's needed, and are simple and reliable.

Could they leak? Sure, but proper installation would minimize the possibility.

It is my preferred method, second would be Nuno's, third would be a convection tank heater, fourth a lower hose heater (which I currently have). I also have a battery blanket heater, but it's not needed with the lower hose heater.

/ YD485 Frost Plug #8  
i must take a look if i can find the Manual and installation guide because there are two ways to splice the Heater into the cooling system but i decide to connect it in other way.

The Line In of the Heater is connected to the Drain hole on the left of the Engine and the Line Out is connected back to the Engine between the Lower Radiator Hose and the Coolant pump.
the Laidong Engine have an connection for Heater so i doesn't need to cut off the Lower Radiator Hose and install an T-Fitting to route line Out of the Coolant Heater back to the Engine

/ YD485 Frost Plug #9  
I had a 2006 TaiShan TS354C with a Y485 engine. I have nothing against a block coolant heater, if it's threaded in. But the Y485 plugs are pressed in, and I don't trust that type block heater not to leak. So I went with an oil pan heater instead, and will provide amplifying details - but only if you're interested.

//greg//

There are many screw in ones depending on application, but every frost plug heater I have used is a pressed in plug. (I guess for smaller engines)I have never had one leak if installed properly (lube the O ring as you put it in so it dosen't tear). If you have the correct sized one for your frost plug,they are almost there forever unless the element finally goes when you need to replace. I guess i like the simplicity of them.

Dave

/ YD485 Frost Plug
Nuno - I've been following your thread at CTW on the plow mount - very interesting and fine work.

Dave - You understand why I like the frost plug heater.

I have also thought about what some of the loggers do around here, they have quick couplers on their coolant lines to connect with their truck's coolant system. They connect the two systems together and transfer heat for a quick warm-up and start. Good in the woods, you don't need electricity. But it has it's downsides such as vehicle access (very inconvenient for a garaged tractor, etc). I very probably won't go that route.