Aligning clutch pack

/ Aligning clutch pack #1  

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
I have a rhino 324, but the question is kind of generic.
I have the clutch ready to go back in, but how do I align the disks. I can use the PTO shaft that goes into the bushing at the back of the engine to align the PTO disk. But how do I align the drive disk? All of the generic tools I have found only have one alignment, not capable of 2.
Thanks
Doug

/ Aligning clutch pack #2  
As you squeeze the two halves of the tractor together, the first shaft to strike will be the PTO shaft. Use the operator levers to engage the PTO, then send a helper to the back of the tractor. Have him/her turn the PTO stub while you continue to bring the two halves together. Should take only a partial turn to get the shaft splines to line up with the disc slots.

Continue to squeeze the two halves until you feel resistance again, this will be the outer shaft striking the main drive disc. Now send the helper to the crankshaft pulley. Open the compression release, and continue to bring the two halves together. As with the PTO, only a partial turn of the crank pulley should align the disc slots with the driveshaft spline.

//greg//

/ Aligning clutch pack
Thanks, that helps, Never though to those ideas,

But the biggest question was how to align the disks in the assembly. On a car they have to be lined up to have any hope of getting the shaft through the spline, and you do that with an alignment tool.
Is there more room on a tractor? How do I get them lined up when assembling, so they will allow the shaft and disk of both to align? The tool from the parts store only has one place to align the disk. And I do not want to buy one, if it is useless to me.

/ Aligning clutch pack #4  
Without a dual stage alignment tool - which not too many of us own - the major goal is to get the discs centered. The main drive disk isn't difficult, as it's the same diameter of both pressure plates. The PTO disc has to be centered as you're bolting the clutchpack to the flywheel. After that, it's a matter of turning the PTO stub and the crank pulley to align the shaft splines with the disc slots.

Another thing that's important, is that you get the correct stack height (distance between finger tips and forward pressure plate). Too loose, and you can't center the main drive disc. Too tight, and you can't align it with the driveshaft. Stack height is a measurement that you should find in the clutch adjustment section of your tractor manual.

//greg//

/ Aligning clutch pack
I have no manual for the tractor.
So is there any other way to set the stack height? And are you saying that I should be able to slightly move the drive disk to help align it when putting it all back together?

I am new to all of this, and really thank you for your time to help me.
Thanks
Doug

/ Aligning clutch pack #6  
Slightly move? Well - not by hand. That's too loose. But if you tighten the adjustment nuts too much, the springs will compress against the pressure plates with too much force. When that happens, you may not be able to move the friction discs with the rear PTO stub and/or the crankshaft pulley. There is a precise measurement for each different Chinese clutchpack, and it's typically found in the tractor manual. This measurement also ensures proper engagement, disengagement, and 1/2 pedal operation of both clutches when finished.

I know the stack heights for mine, but there's no guarantee your tractor has the same clutchpack as any I had. Given the amount of work involved in splitting a tractor, I think it would be in your best interest to get the proper manuals - and do this right the first time. Farm Boys down in Tennessee should be able to help you out.

//greg//

/ Aligning clutch pack
Thanks, I will call them again, and see if they can give me the measurement. I have already spent all I have, and would like to get the manuals after the 1st o the year.

thanks
Doug

/ Aligning clutch pack #8  
Several years ago, we bought a universal clutch alignment tool from NAPA, it has several adaptors that slide onto a shaft and we can normally use some combination to align the front disk and the handle itself will usually come close to the main disk. it has worked for us dozens of times.

/ Aligning clutch pack #9  
In a pinch, I once made a clutch alignment tool for a car using a wooden dowel that fit in the pilot bearing, and wrapping a lot of electrical tape around it to fit the clutch disk.

Stan