Oil & Fuel What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #1  

articcummins

Tractor
Jinma 254
The red light on top of the oil pressure gage on my Jinma 254 is on since I buy the tractor, what is that light for.....

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #2  
It tells you that your ignition switch is on.....Mike

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #3  
You don't have an ignition switch, you have a key switch. There is no ignition system on these engines. Gasoline and compressed gas engines have ignition systems.
Actually, what the red light is telling you (and what it is for) is that you have current going to the field in the alternator. It mimics the red LED on the voltage regulator (if equipped), and if left on will drain the battery.

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #4  
You don't have an ignition switch
OK, misnomer on my part. I call it an ignition switch, wrong I agree but a large percentage of the population calls it that as well......Mike

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage
Thank's I was just thinking if this light is low oil pressure because the oil pressure is always low on my gauge. My tractor just have 16 hours and the needle on the gauge is just moving 1/8 of a inch scince I buy tractor. Today I am buying a mecanical gauge to check the oil pressure.

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #6  
Might have to do with the oil you're using too. If the oil's too thin, the pressure will be low. So if the tractor's still got the original Chinese fluids in it, they should be drained and flushed - filters changed. Refill the engine with a quality 15W40

//greg//

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #7  
I agree, you need to check your pressure asap. A oil change would also be in your best interest. My 284 uses a Fram PH3950 oil filter or equivalent and 6 quarts of 15W40. The 254 and 284 are basically the same tractor. Now if you have the new epa approved engine then it may be a different filter and oil amount.

I also mounted a light just like it on the other side of the dash and ran one wire to the bus that ties the 3 glow plugs together and the ground wire to the frame. This way I know when my glow plugs are being energized.

Chris

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #8  
I like the idea of a light for the glow plugs. I modified mine with a Ford starter relay and heavy gage wires. I can hear the loud relay switch on when I hit it with 12V but I wouldn't know if the bus is energized. Again....good idea Chris.

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #9  
This is what I did with mine:
I mounted four relays fed off the battey with a fused 30A, 8ga wire.
The relays go to my revolving light, front, rear lights and glow plugs and each one is individually fused as well.

I mounted an extra switch panel below the dash to control all of the above. The origonal (too small) wire that used to power up the glow plugs now go to an indicator light for them. The power for the indicator light comes directly off the buss bar for the plugs, that way I know I'm actually getting power to the plugs. That's the light next to the push button for the glow plugs which is next to the fuel shutoff.
.....Mike

/ What is the red light on top of oil pressure gage #10  
I wouldn't know if the bus is energized.
If you have an ammeter, you can actually "see" the glow plugs energize and heat. As soon as they draw amperage, the needle dips sharply negative. The fact that resistance changes with temperature is why you can actually "see" the GPs heating up, you just have to keep your eye on the ammeter needle movement. Mine would dip to somewhere between -25 and -30 amps initially, and I'd hold the keyswitch at HEAT until the amperage draw decreased to about -12 or so. At that point I switched the key over to START. And since I had the Ford cold start switch too, the plugs continued to glow in the START position as well.

//greg//

Last edited: