Alt change

/ Alt change #1  

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
I have the Rhino 324, and the alt. does not charge, I would like to remove the regulator and install an old GM alt. I thought I had seen a procedure to do this somewhere, now I can not find it.
Anyone know how to do this, and can help me out. Thanks
Doug

/ Alt change #2  
IS your alternator dead, or are you just not getting field current to it to energize the field so it will produce electricity? If your voltage regulator is bad, you won't get output from your alternator.

Changing to the Delco 12Si or 12Si alternator is no big deal. Get the 2-wire type, not the 1-wire type, as it will begin charging at a lower rpm. On my Jinma 304 I used the 12Si 2-wire (also called a 3-wire) and swapped the pulley form the old alternator to the new one with a lock washer. I made a new tensioner bracket as the old one didn't quite fit right. The output lead runs to the battery and the field lead gets power from the key switch. That's it. The old OEM regulator is not used and is removed from the circuit.

/ Alt change #3  
Check your wiring diagram too. One of my Chinese tractors came with a 3A fuse (on the charging circuit) that kept blowing. I changed it to a 5A, never had another problem

//greg//

/ Alt change
The alt does not charge, and there are 3 wires on the back. I had it rebuilt because a bearing went out, but it does not work now.
How do I test it? They may have rebuilt it, and I have a regulator, or wire issue, But I o not know where to start. The one larger wire runs down to the starter where the battery hooks up, and I assume that is the wire that feeds out the charge to the battery. There are 2 more, and I have no idea where they go.
I do not care which way, I would just like it to work, it gets old having to jump it, or charge the battery before I use it every time.

/ Alt change #5  
I do not care which way, I would just like it to work, it gets old having to jump it, or charge the battery before I use it every time.
Have you even had the battery load tested yet? Perhaps the battery's just not accepting a charge. Start there. Charge your battery, take it to an auto parts store, ask them to load test it.

//greg//

/ Alt change #6  
Do as Greg said and have the battery tested first. While you're at it you could have the alternator tested, too. It isn't hard, just spin it up while applying 12 volts to the field winding and you should get output from the big wire. If not, alternator is bad.

If you do change to the Delco integrated alternator, you won't be able to run the output from the alternator through the ammeter as the new alternator puts out too much current. You'll want to get a voltmeter and install that to have visual confirmation that the charging system is functioning properly.

/ Alt change
I have replaced the battery, and it will hold a charge, and start the tractor 2-5 times depending on how hard it is to start.
How do I know what wire it the field? If I apply power to the wrong terminal it will ruin the alt. I am assuming it is ok, because I had someone rebuild it, but that did not fix the problem.

/ Alt change #8  
Ok. Get a multimeter and set it to measure DC voltage. Put the red lead on the battery + post and the black lead on the battery - post. Note the reading, a fully charged and healthy battery should read about 12.2 volts. With the leads still on the battery, start the tractor. Observe the voltage again. Between 14.0 and 14.5 volts indicates a good alternator and good connections. As the alternator tops up the battery, the voltage will slow drop back to the nominal 12.2

If you see otherwise, let us know and we'll go from there.

//greg//

/ Alt change #9  
The alt does not charge, and there are 3 wires on the back. I had it rebuilt because a bearing went out, but it does not work now.
The one larger wire runs down to the starter where the battery hooks up, and I assume that is the wire that feeds out the charge to the battery. There are 2 more, and I have no idea where they go.

Hi Greg
I think he stated his problem in an earlier post (see his edited post above). When he had his alternator repaired I am not sure if he knows which wire goes where?
I could be reading the post wrong but that's what it sounds like to me.
so maybe someone could walk him through the wire colors / connections just to check the thing is connected correctly.

Bob

/ Alt change
It is connected the same way as before. But I do not know if that is correct. There are no makings on the alt.