Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #1  

Hickory Creek

Bronze Member
Tractor
WT404
There are over 134pages on Chinese Tractors. Can someone tell me how to insert a question that will take me to the correct previous asked question page on this site?

Inherited a WT404 no manual or any idea how to start. No tractor or desiel experience. Tried cranking it. new battery, turns over slowly but no luck. Had to junp starter solonoid like my old car of 50 years ago.

Have read on this forum that a WT is same as a Jimna Chinese Tractor.
If so, can anyone tell me what model Jimna so I can request a wiring diagram.

Not sure how to tell if glow plugs work. Did have an old 5kw Onan desiel generator that has glow plug element so I know I should preheat for about 20 seconds. Light will come on on insturment cluster, but never goes out.
Starter sounds very slow.

Recovering from heart trouble so perfect project to give heart a free stress test.

Only numbers I can find on motor are and they are not clear :

29.4kw 2200rpm
XK06-205-00231
SL310581 Like I said, not sure if all numbers ae correct as hard to see.

Thanks

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #2  
WorkTraks are/were sold in your area by
McGee Farm Equipment
2119 Highway 49 South
Florence, Mississippi 39073
Telephone: 1-601-664-2004

//greg//

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #3  
The engine is a SL3105 by Futian Lilja, we have the manual for it.If you can send me a pic of your tractor I can confirm if it's a Foton or a Jinma, the engine is a direct injection and as long as they have fuel start very easy.If it's been sitting a long time there is a primer pump on the injector pump,unscrew it and pump it about 20- times then try to start it

You can e-mail pics to tommy@affordabletractorsalesco.com

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #4  
29.4kw 2200rpm
XK06-205-00231
SL310581
Usually those numbers are stamped onto a black aluminum plate, and the stamped impressions subsequently get filled with dirt. That results in trying to read black on black. Try a little WD40 on the plate, the numbers may become more legible.

Based upon what you've posted so far, I'll read between the lines and say your WT404 is a rebadged Foton 404 (FT404), but McGees can confirm this for you. The power rating in KW translates to 39.42 horsepower @2200 RPM. This is likely coincident with the PTO operating revs indicated by a green mark on the tachometer. WOT will likely be closer to 2400 RPM. The 00231 is likely the engine serial number, and the 205 in front of it might actually be a 2005 (indicating year of manufacture). If true, that makes it a pre-EPA engine. That's important when it comes to ordering the engine manuals; as there's an EPA book, and a pre-EPA book. And I'm pretty sure the last two numbers in the last line are BT, making the engine model a 40hp SL3105BT. The Jinmas I've seen use the 45hp ABT version of that engine (same bore, longer stroke).

And don't be surprised if the engine and tractor are not stamped with the same year. I'm helping a FT404 owner now; his engine plate says 1998, but the tractor plate says 2004. So look for your tractor plate too. It's typically located either on the inside of a rear fender, or on (perhaps alongside) the transmission housing.

If you can confirm any/all of the above, it will make it easier to pursue troubleshooting of the other issues you mentioned.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #5  
One of the main things I discovered (and even says it in the manual) when starting in the cold is open the manual throttle about 50% to get a good fuel flow (before the injection pump it is gravity feed from the tank). A couple of 20-30 sec. glowplug preheats and usually fires right up. As it warms up you can back the throttle off as needed. On the really cold days (below -20C.) I plug the blocker heater in for a few hours.

Hope it helps and enjoy the new rig.

Cheers Dave

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine
To all those who have answered my questions so far...THANK YOU.

1998 was stamped on the platte also.
A picture will be coming, I have one somewhere. Tractor currently away from my location.
HOW DO YOU PREHEAT? I turned the key until the glow lamp indicator light came on on cluster. It never went out, no matter how long I held the key in the lamp on position. Ignition switch will not send 12v to starter solonoid when turned to full right position, so I had to screwdriver jump solonoid.

I think between all of you we can get this animal blowing black smoke. Thank you. Will keep you posted. My heart has really been out of rhythm these past few days so I am trying to remain calm.

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine
Well, here goes, a picture may or may not show up

tractorjoysttick003.jpg

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #8  
On my Chinese Jinma 304 the key switch has five positions:
1. - start w/o gauges or accessories on - turn key to left (spring return)
2. - OFF
3. - Accessories ON
4. - Pre-heat - spring return to position 3
5. - Start - spring return to position 3

The light on the dash is probably just a light to tell you that the accessory position is active, rather than a glow plug indicator. Mine doesn't have this feature.

These Chinese ignition switches are known for being less than really robust. The standard fix is to replace with the Ford "cold-start" switch available from auto supply places. You'll need to use a multimeter to check your current switch to verify which lugs do which function and swap the wires to the appropriate lugs on the new switch. (I've had the new switch for a year now and keep on jumping mine with a screwdriver - I never need glow plugs here in the tropics.

You very likely may not have functioning glow plugs for one of two reasons. They may be shot and need replacing, or they may never have been hooked up at the dealer. You can test them with a multimeter and trace the wiring from them to the switch. They work better if you install a 12v accessory relay in the circuit so the key switch ois only handling a half amp of relay coil load instead of 30 amps of glow plugs. The relay contacts will handle the heavy load and you can wire them with heavier 12 gauge wire so they get full power from the battery that way.

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #9  
HOW DO YOU PREHEAT? I turned the key until the glow lamp indicator light came on on cluster. It never went out, no matter how long I held the key in the lamp on position. Ignition switch will not send 12v to starter solonoid when turned to full right position, so I had to screwdriver jump solonoid..
There is no glow plug timer, that's why the indicator stays lit as long as you hold down the button. I used the ammeter as a visual timer. When GPs first energize cold, they pulled about 26-28 amps. But resistance changes with temperature, meaning they pull fewer amps as they heat up. When the ammeter got down into the 12-13 amp range, I hit START.

First thing to check when the key won't engage the starter solenoid is the clutch interlock switch. It's typically under the left floorboard.

//greg//

/ Help With WorkTrak 404 29.4KW engine #10  
Hickory...where in Ms are you?