JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ? #1  

chris85

Bronze Member
Tractor
JM 284
My tractor has started to grind when I shift gears. Seems like the clutch is not working. Is better in low range. Only 100 hours but I just bought it so I have no idea on how it was used prior to getting it.
Any thoughts guys?

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ? #2  
Does the gear grind when you engage the power takeoff??

Pat

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ? #3  
Most clutches should have about 1 1/2 inches of pedal movement before anything happens. Less and the clutch may slip. More and you may not get the clutch to release. If you have the manual adjust it per procedure listed. It's easy to do and is the place to start.

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ? #4  
It does sound like it is not fully disengageing. I would reccomend you pull a side cover and inspect the clutch fingers and throwout bearing to make sure all is in order and that the fingers are still evenly spaced before you do anything. It may be as simple as the pedal linkage and pivot bearings have loosened up/worn requiring more pedal travel to move the throwout and fingers the same distance as when new...

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ? #5  
Please elaborate on "when shifting gears". There are no synchros in that transmission, so grinding between gears while in motion is normal. To avoid that, you have to learn to double clutch. Or do you mean grinding when you simply try to put it in gear while standing still?

//greg//

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ? #6  
Good point, these things don't shift gears on the fly too well...

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ?
I do have the manual, but it is a little tough to understand. I don't even see a "side cover" to get a visual of the clutch fingers.

I am trying to figure out how to post a photo here but I found something that does not seem right to me. Off of the clutch pedal there is a link arm attached to a spring, the link arm attaches to a rod that slides over a shaft that comes out of the tractor. The bolt holding this rod to the shaft was broke clean off so I assumed this may be the issue as it looks like this shaft should turn when the peddle is pushed. I replaced the bolt but the shaft does not move at all. Trying to post photos now.

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ?
Please elaborate on "when shifting gears". There are no synchros in that transmission, so grinding between gears while in motion is normal. To avoid that, you have to learn to double clutch. Or do you mean grinding when you simply try to put it in gear while standing still?

//greg//

Grids when standing still.

/ JM 284 Think my clutch needs adjusting? ? #10  
Ok. Might not be serious. But you'll have to drop the loader mounts to get at the clutch inspection windows. Well, at least one of them anyway. Once you can see inside, rotate the clutchpack a full 360 degrees so you can get a look at all 3 release fingers. They're supposed to each be 2.5mm (+/- 0.5mm) away from vertical face of the throwout bearing. Not too much tolerance allowed either, as they should be +/-0.1mm of each other when finished adjusting. If they're all already within the 0.1mm, you can make the adjustment outside. It's done by adjusting the pull rod Y-collar one direction or the other. But if they're uneven, that has to be fixed first - before you adjust the pull rod length. In some cases the stop bolt must be adjusted as well.

//greg//

Status
Not open for further replies.