Grease fittings

/ Grease fittings #1  

Gramps in NM

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n, 2005 Taskmaster (Dongfeng)
Started to grease my machine today for first time after dealer did it and have found 1 zerk missing, one broke, and I broke an additional two with my NEW grease gun. No zerks that I have here fit. (1/4 x 28 to small) It's a 75 mile trip for me to get replacements and wish to be sure I am getting the correct ones. I plan to take one out and take it with me but if any of you have info on size/ threads please chip in and let me know. Loader and machine seem to be same size.
2005 Dongfeng/Taskmaster
Have several auto supply places to choose from, are they likely to have what I need?

/ Grease fittings #2  
Started to grease my machine today for first time after dealer did it and have found 1 zerk missing, one broke, and I broke an additional two with my NEW grease gun. No zerks that I have here fit. (1/4 x 28 to small) It's a 75 mile trip for me to get replacements and wish to be sure I am getting the correct ones. I plan to take one out and take it with me but if any of you have info on size/ threads please chip in and let me know. Loader and machine seem to be same size.
2005 Dongfeng/Taskmaster
Have several auto supply places to choose from, are they likely to have what I need?

I would call the dealer you bought it from and see if he could just send you some.

/ Grease fittings #3  
They are metric. You can get replacements at NAPA, Harbor Freight, or any automotive parts store.

/ Grease fittings #5  
Gramps, I have seen this here a lot with new grease guns. You have to unscrew the end of the gun sometimes after it has pressurized a fitting to get it off. It is as if they lock on the Zirc after use. May not be the problem but felt a need to post it.

/ Grease fittings #6  
FYI: The zerk design is meant to "grab" the fitting and increase tension as pressure is applied though operation of the grease gun. If the grease channel is blocked or otherwise restricted to allow release of the built-up pressure, it will be very difficult to remove the grease gun. This is where fittings get broken mostly. Another thing I've noticed is that Chinese tractors come with brass zerk fittings which are rapidly worn away and easily broken. I replaced every single one on my dozer with steel ones.

/ Grease fittings #7  
I have replaced all of mine with new steel replacements. Tractor ones were 1/8 NPT mostly and the loader ones I simply chased the holes with a 1/4 tap and screwed in the new fittings. I wanted to be SAE because I have a large supply of these.

/ Grease fittings
Thanks for the replies and ideas. Mostly wanted to know if they would be available locally. Seems so. Mine do appear to be brass or maybe even copper. From what I can tell they all (tractor & loader) appear to be M10 which is what the manual calls for.
Thanks all
Gramps

/ Grease fittings #9  
I know my Farmpro 2430 has metric grease fittings, but I have to wonder if more is metric than just the threads.

I have a new grease gun, and it is very grippy on Standard fittings. But on these metric ones, it tends to bleed grease out around the fitting instead of going into the fitting.

I went to the Ace Hardware, and looked at NEW steel metric fittings, and they have the exact same shape and size, but when I compared to new STD fittings, the std had a bigger ball and a longer and narrower neck.

It makes me wonder if there is a metric grease gun end that is supposed to be used on metric grease fittings.

Last edited:
   / Grease fittings #10  
I have never understood why anyone has ever broken a grease Zerk, I have been greasing for 40+ years and never have broken one.. /when they get stuck, loosen by unscrewing the front half of the grease coupler and it will fall of of the Zerk. The coupler is a collett with fingers inside. As you tighten it the fingers compress as you loosen it they relax. I usually leave them slightly loose, put it on the zerk and tighten it a little pump in grease and then slightly loosen it for easy removal. It helps to have a rag in your left hand to tighten and loosen easier.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/203295-grease-gun-screwdriver.html

James K0UA