jinma 224--clock went nuts

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #1  

TSMART

Silver Member
Tractor
jinma jm 224
Yesterday, I changed my oil, noted 675 hours on the clock. Today, after working a maximum of about 8 hours, the clock reads 740 hours, no way thats possible. Till now, clock has been correct, but now even the tenths of the hour-- I can watch them...they go way too fast...if I cant fix it I will have to keep a log. Very wierd to me..... Cluster instrument panel...maybe replace the whole thing?

Only other clue I have is I rewired the thing directly eliminating the harness connectors. (about a year ago) But thats a long shot cause I would have noticed the time flying by long ago.

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #2  
have you by chance checked the battery voltage with the engine running? voltage regulator may be overcharging, just a thought.

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #3  
Is your oil pressure gauge operating normally? Better yet, what other - if any - instrument cluster functions are not operating normally?

//greg//

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts
Yes, oil pressure and every other guage works fine. Battery light comes on when under 1000 rpms. Ammeter gage jiggles alot, tho not to the extremes. Clocked about 200 hours in the last 12 hours of operation.

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #5  
Given the way these electronic hour meters work and the way that tractors vibrate, the odds are good that your hour meter has an intermittent connection. That intermittent connection will cause surge/loss of electrical flow through the clock, causing it to "read" much more current passing through it than really is. If nothing else, you might try re-soldering all the connections for it on the circuit board and see if that fixes it.

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #6  
Battery light comes on when under 1000 rpms.

A couple of interesting things here that could correlate.
Is this "battery light" an actual charge indicator light, labeled as such?
Do you know if your tachometer is driven by a reluctor off the flywheel or from a separate tach circuit on the alternator?

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #7  
Are you sure it's a battery light? Seems that and an ammeter would be redundant. I'm more inclined to believe that's the "hey, turn your keyswitch off" indicator. Then again, you said you wired around the OE connectors, so I guess it could be anything. The fact that it comes on under 1000 rpm suggests it might be crossed with the oil pressure wire. But more likely it's plain old printed circuit degradation due to vibration. That would explain the hour meter problem as well.

//greg//

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #8  
   / jinma 224--clock went nuts
Where's the voltage regulator on my 224?

/ jinma 224--clock went nuts #10  

Attachments

• 469a53f82e63f5.jpg
    469a53f82e63f5.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 143