Buying Advice what to buy

/ what to buy #1  

thooster

Tractor
none
On 32 acres in nsw central west and looking to buy 30 - 35 hp tractor for slashing and driveway maintenance. The price of some of the chinese machines makes them very attractive - I've been looking at an Agrison 30 hp and a dong feng zb 35. Anyone out there got any tales to tell?

/ what to buy #2  
Not competent to comment on what brand tractor to buy in Australia, but I would like to contribute that 30-35hp might be disappointing on 32 acres. I've got 30 hillside acres of pasture and woodland, and have worked it with a 25hp Jinma, a 35hp TaiShan, and a 45hp KAMA. The latter outworked the first two - combined. Right now I've got a 43hp John Deere, and - because of power lost through the eHydro - it too is marginal from a horsepower standpoint.

//greg//

/ what to buy #3  
Greg,
Just curious if your Deere has hydroststic drive (hydraulic pump and motor) or a torque converter?

/ what to buy
Greg,
Thanks for the reply. Of the 32 acres mentioned I'll only be working about half - and even then it'll only be a slash a couple of times ayear

/ what to buy #5  
Hi
You seriously need to contact me by PM if you are considering a Agricat/Agrison tractor

/ what to buy #6  
If you want one of the better brands of Chinese tractors I would suggest you look at the Foton Range.
The official Australian dealer (National Machinery Traders) has the 25 and 40hp tractors that could suit you and they are a really first class outfit.
You can see 35hp ones imported by "backyard" dealers who have a parts only warranty.
You could ask Greg (who answered your post earlier) for his suggestions or one of the many other Chinese tractor owners.
Just note that the Jinma which is the biggest seller in the States has little following in Australia.
You have my PM with my story. Check out any dealers you can on here unfortunately some posts you would have been interested in have been removed from this site.
Good luck ...happy buying.. Let us know what you choose

/ what to buy #8  
I Have a Dong feng 254G2 (also known as East Wind in Australia) and am quite happy with it. I have a cab and loader on it and the only upgrade to the cab that was not available to me in Canada but I believe is available in Australia would be air conditioning. I would look at all the models and pick the highest horsepower you can afford, sometimes the price is not that much different and you also gain larger tires, axles etc.

/ what to buy #9  
Greg,
Just curious if your Deere has hydroststic drive (hydraulic pump and motor) or a torque converter?
Dunno the engineering details, other than JD calls it eHydro. But if you're thinking of a design like the high end zero turn mowers use - a hydraulic motor on each drive wheel - no. It's nothing like that. I'd describe it more like a a 3-range CVT with variable speed forward and reverse pedals.

//greg//

/ what to buy #10  
Hi
You seriously need to contact me by PM if you are considering a Agricat/Agrison tractor
Good Grief !! Did they change their name again?!? If true, then the Agrison is yet another a rebadged Jinma. That's enough info to scare me off.

And yes, I have a little experience working on the 40hp Foton. Very stout machine. Can't speak directly to any of the smaller Fotons. I'm almost positive you'd be happier with a FT404 than with either of those two you mentioned up front. The FT404 employs direct injection too. It's possible the 35hp DF does as well, but I don't know about the Agrison. Believe me, direct injection is a plus both for cold starting and fuel economy

//greg//