Nortrac Dozer

/ Nortrac Dozer #1  

mike45tx

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510/FEL
I am looking at a Nortrac NB 3500 dozer and need any and all advice.This machine is 03 or 04 model,150 hrs on the hour meter.Alternator is not working, fuel leak on fuel filter,lower links on 3pt need to be replaced, the rotary cylinders have been removed and both front corners (bumper?) have been welded with flat bar added, the cylinders were put on wrong sides and have wore the paint on the side cowling's, also appears that there's no bushings in the cylinder ends, alot of play when the blade is down.I would be using this little dozer to maintain 2 dry creeks,dig a small tank and cut several sendero's. The brush here is scrub brush and small trees.One concern that I have is if the hour meter has been changed out,the numbers on the tachometer are all white.Is there any way to tell wear (hours) by the tracks? Number of links in original tracks? The owner is asking $7000 or best offer.

Thanks
Mike

/ Nortrac Dozer #2  
I own a nortrac along with a couple others here, together we should be able to give some advice. 7,000 might be on the high side with all the problems you listed(?) How is everything else on the machine? How many hrs does it read? You can get parts from Northern Tool, circle G, Tytan and some other places. I doubt you'll be able to tell the hrs from the shape of the track. Also watch out for rocks wedging into the track(inside) I'm on my 3rd axle. I'm trying to come up with some sort of better rock guard. The last rock wedged all the way at the rear and snapped the drive shaft(axle) like a twig. IMO these machines are very handy and have lots of power for their size.

/ Nortrac Dozer #3  
FYI, Nortrac is a re-badged Yuchai.
The tracks on these don't have chains or rails. The shoe is all one piece except for the pin. Normally you can guesstimate the hours on the tracks by measuring pin to pin but I doubt there was any baseline taken when it was new so forget that. From what you describe, the machine does not reflect responsible ownership. Are there service records available? If not, my offer would be $4,000 or walk away. Want pictures and action shots?
https://www.facebook.com/yuchaidozer

20 20, It appears that the track frame guards from an old JD350 or Case will fit. I am pursuing this.

/ Nortrac Dozer
The rest of the machine seems to be in decent shape,a little surface rust here and there. The engine is clean on the left side while the right is gunked up from filter changes and no cleanup. The seat is about 75%.The hour meter reads 151 hrs. I was told that when you ran out of track adjustment you ran the adjusters back and removed a link of track and readjusted, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew how many links there was on a new machine, but I don't know if this is true.

Mike

/ Nortrac Dozer
Also the welding on the front has me wondering what happened, the owner said one side cracked, so he welded up both sides. No service records.

Mike

/ Nortrac Dozer #6  
I was told that when you ran out of track adjustment you ran the adjusters back and removed a link of track and readjusted, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew how many links there was on a new machine, but I don't know if this is true.
This is true. However, I don't know how many pads there are - I have rubber tracks. Might try calling a dealer.

/ Nortrac Dozer #7  
Also the welding on the front has me wondering what happened, the owner said one side cracked, so he welded up both sides. No service records.

The welding has me wondering too. Did he just not want to fix it or was he incapable?

/ Nortrac Dozer
The front cracked on one side, I would call it the front bumper, it wraps around the front under the radiator. I don't know if traveling in high gear on rough roads would cause this or not. Also is the bottom shoe on the blade replaceable? This one looks new, with 151 hrs showing on the meter this looks new as well as the ridges on the track links, squared off no angle wear, if this makes any sense.

Mike

/ Nortrac Dozer #9  
Mike,
Yes, the cutting edges on the dozer blade are replaceable. They can also be flipped over to get a new edge. Do them all at the same time if you do.

Not sure what you are calling the "front bumper". The wishbone that goes from the track frame trunnions to the dozer blade?

Trust me, you won't be traveling in high gear on a rough road. I can do high gear on a paved road with the rubber tracks with no problem. The rubber tracked models have an extra carrier roller which really smoothes out the ride and gives more tractive effort.

/ Nortrac Dozer
I'll try to post a picture of the front welding.The blade actually pivots off of this, the welds are on the corners.

Mike