NT204C Starting Issue

/ NT204C Starting Issue #1  

mstan99999

Mine won't start. Put the key in and turn it, nothing happens.
I checked the battery, full charge, cleaned the terminals. No cables have been cut or pulled loose.
So I jumped the starter and it bumped the motor, so I know there is power to the starter.
I turned the key to the "on" position, bumped the starter again, and it fired right up.
I kill it, turn the key to "off" and try again, and it just spins.
So, I think my clutch switch is out. I thought about bypassing it, but that can be dangerous.
I called NT in Grand Prairie and Garland Texas, but neither was any help.
Do you guys agree with my assessment, and if so, where can I get another switch?

Thanks!!!
Matt

/ NT204C Starting Issue #2  
By pass the clutch safety switch and see what happens. If nothing you need to take the starter off and clean and lube it along with all the electrical connections. Pay close attention to battery connections and the negative terminal on the frame. Grind it clean and make sure you have metal on metal contact.

Chris

/ NT204C Starting Issue #3  
We have the new clutch switchs. Make sure the tractor is in neutral, take a saftey pin and push it thru both wires on the clutch switch, if it starts then its a bad switch, if not it's prob. a key switch.BE VERY CAREFUL WHILE THE SWITCH IS BYPASSED because the tractor can start in gear,your tractor is the same as a 200 series Jinma

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ NT204C Starting Issue
Thanks guys. I'll check it this weekend. If that's it, I'll be ordering on Monday.

again, Thanks!!!
Matt

/ NT204C Starting Issue #5  
Put the key in and turn it, nothing happens.
. . .
I kill it, turn the key to "off" and try again, and it just spins.

Matt
If that second statement says that this time the starter spins with the key - I don't think the problem is with the clutch switch.
RonJ

/ NT204C Starting Issue #6  
Clean the battery posts and cable ends. Both ends. Take particular care on the tractor end of the ground cable. Clean/sand/brush/grind down to bare metal. Get a tube of silicone dielectric grease from the auto parts store. Smear a layer on the freshly cleaned steel, replace ground cable. Smear another layer over the top. Remember, dielectric grease - not bearing grease, not axle grease, not Vaseline dielectric grease. Then check cranking voltage at the small wire on the starter solenoid. Cranking voltage is that which is present while the keyswitch is held in the START position.

//greg//

/ NT204C Starting Issue #7  
I recently tried two products that show promise for cleaning up batteries. Formerly I would use lots of baking soda, and grease like the grease Greg suggested. But I am trying now:

CRC spray battery cleaner with acid indicator.
CRC Battery Terminal protector.

I just wanted to change things up from my old methods, and a can of each seems to go a long way. I can vouch for the cleaner, but the protector...more time has to pass to know about that.

/ NT204C Starting Issue #8  
It's the same old stuff - repackaged. Look at the contents of each, then translate into old school. They're basically baking soda and dielectric in aerosol form. Don't get me wrong, it works. But probably at greater expense than the "home remedies".

//greg//

/ NT204C Starting Issue #9  
It's the same old stuff - repackaged. Look at the contents of each, then translate into old school. They're basically baking soda and dielectric in aerosol form. Don't get me wrong, it works. But probably at greater expense than the "home remedies".

//greg//

I'm sure you're right. But $10 for the two, and out the door, so I wanted to try it. Seemed more convenient. But only time will tell.

/ NT204C Starting Issue #10  
CRC spray battery cleaner with acid indicator.
CRC Battery Terminal protector. I just wanted to change things up from my old methods, and a can of each seems to go a long way. I can vouch for the cleaner, but the protector...more time has to pass to know about that.
I use the same stuff along with the cookies. Works great.