elec problem also

/ elec problem also #1  

slammer3364

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Hi I seen another elec problem on here also I dont have fuel gauge and tak however ther is power to them.When you turn key on fuel gauge and tach will move then fall dead when engine starts We were thinking sending unit in tank and something stuck inside tach meter.We had tach meter but it is a closed unit and cant get in,however reading the other elec problems I have my doubts now it is a Jinma 284 2004 ore 2005 Thanks in advance for any tips Slammer

/ elec problem also #2  
Might be a bad cluster ground. There are at least two, some have three. Pull the cluster out, including pulling the male/female connectors apart. Each of the connectors has a ground wire. An aerosol contact cleaner is recommended (Radio Shack or electronics supply). But if you don't have that, borrow a fingernail file from a female of the family. Use it to abrade fresh electrical mating surfaces.

//greg//

/ elec problem also
Might be a bad cluster ground. There are at least two, some have three. Pull the cluster out, including pulling the male/female connectors apart. Each of the connectors has a ground wire. An aerosol contact cleaner is recommended (Radio Shack or electronics supply). But if you don't have that, borrow a fingernail file from a female of the family. Use it to abrade fresh electrical mating surfaces.

//greg//

Just tried spraying out clusters,no go yet although you have me convinced it is a ground somewhere,all other gauges work. Tach (hr. meter) and fuel gauge went simultanisaly Thanks for tip still looking

/ elec problem also #4  
In case you weren't aware, there's a fuse for the instrument cluster. All but the ammeter that is, it's separately fused. If the whole cluster is down - less the ammeter - suspect a fuse.

//greg//

/ elec problem also #5  
As Greg mentioned, all of the gauges except the ammeter are fed by a single fuse. It is the 20A labelled as headlights. Do you have headlights? If so, it is not the fuse.
RonJ

/ elec problem also
Yes have headlights.Someonewas talking about a big white wire off big cluster and plugs in by fuel tank,going to try that tommorrow

/ elec problem also #7  
Yes have headlights.Someonewas talking about a big white wire off big cluster and plugs in by fuel tank,going to try that tommorrow

Kinda late to the party, but electrical problems (with Jinmas) are usually related to ground issues. Take your main ground (by the rad) off and clean up the connection and install a star washer. On my Jinma I also had a pin backing out of the fuse box. It looked fine when unplugged, found it by gently pulling on the wires to make sure the pin/ pj connectors did not back out.

/ elec problem also #8  
I had problems with my Jinma 254 too. When I turned on the headlights the fuel gauge stopped working. I found that the 12 pin electrical connector (located beside the fuse block) had some loose connections. I removed each female spade from the connector and closed them slightly with a pair of plyers. I then tested how tight they were on one of the male spades before reinserting them.

The are easy to remove by sliding a minature screw driver between the spade and the connector block. This will push in a small release arm and allow the spade to be pulled out from the rear. Bend the small release back out again before reinserting back into the connector block.

Attachments

• DSCF4522.JPG
    DSCF4522.JPG
    858 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF4525.JPG
    DSCF4525.JPG
    862.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF4527.JPG
    DSCF4527.JPG
    859.5 KB · Views: 144
   / elec problem also #9  
all connectors are cheap, you need to hold the wires tight together while connecting them to be certain they hook up inside the connector (they seem to pull out when you only hold the plastic)
also, i had an intermittant tach problem and worked all my ground at the time, also manage to dismantle the whole cluster into piece to check for a cold solder/broken wire... all was #1
then i had to order parts from a vendor and gave a shot on a new sending unit, replaced it and Voila! worked well since (4-5 months)
i never had problem with the tank level other than having the needle drop by a few 1/8" when i use my headlight. (have to find a way to repair that, i may put the headlight on a separate circuit)

hope you figure out your problem and be done with it!

Jose G.