Trans leaking 254 Foton

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #1  

valley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Michigan 55A, Foton 254
Greetings, It happened today. The bolts have worked loose between the transmission, the section with the tower and the shift stick, and the portion in front of that. The gasket work it's way out. I tightened the bolts, still leaks.
I need to dig another trench 100' long by 2' deep.

I'm thinking of loosen the bolts, clean the mating surfaces, gooping in form a gasket and tighting it back up.

What do you think??? Hurry before Hook says I have to take the whole thing apart.

Thanks Richard

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #2  
The Chinese gaskets leave quite a bit to be desired; they're typically cork or paper, and rot out quickly when compromised. I don't like gasket in a tube, and seldom recommend it. It's far far better to replace the gasket. Given my dislike for the Chinese gaskets, I cut my own from bulk stock. My recommendation would be to get a roll of oil & fuel material from an auto parts store and cut your own replacement. But based upon the info provided, I'm still not sure where the leak is. It would help if (a) you were a little more specific about where the drips are coming from, and (b) whether it's gear oil or engine oil.

//greg//

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton
Greetings greg, The leak in grease. The leak is between the transmission[ the part with the gear shift lever] and the unit bolted just to the front of that. The gasket worked it's way out.

I tightened the bolts as much as possible. The 4 bolts, 2 on each side, have so little room that only an open end wrench that has been ground to alow movement can be used.

We are at the ranch, so I haven't the shop with all the tools.

It would be horrible to have to break the tractor to instal a paper gasket, maybe sliding one in.
Richard

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #4  
Given your situation, what I'd do is this:

Block the tractor up, both front and rear halves, and loosen the four bolts considerably - enough to allow you to still just hold the two halves aligned. I'd pull one bolt all the way out to get an idea of how much room you're gong to end up with before loosening all four. Once you have the bolts loose, use a pry bar to separate the two halves as far as the bolts will allow and clean the gasket out and get the surfaces as clean as possible. Then apply the gasket-in-a-can and button it back up, being sure to torque the bolts properly - they obviously weren't torqued properly at the factory, which allowed the two parts to shift and chew up the gasket. As that is the case, I'd pull each bolt individually, with the other three tight to keep things aligned, and apply some Loctite to the threads and reinstall and torque it.

Thanks Rich, sounds like a plan! Aside fron the 4 bolts on the side, I mentioned, there are others on the top and bottom that I can get a wrench on, still might have to be an open end.
There are studs,in the tranny housing, and nuts on the studs hold the two units together, the studs are not that tight.
I'ed like to finish the trench before getting to it. It's leaking pretty good!

Richard

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #6  
Best 'gasket in a can' I've used recently was Permatex's 'The Right Stuff'

Up date: there are three studs on the bottom and two on each side. I Have it seperated, about 1/4" gap. I'ed like to use a gasket material that I can pump in like caulk.
I guess I can get it in there with paddle pop sticks.

How is that: permatex applied? The Permatex I used to use was put on with a brush, to hold VW cases together.

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #8  
The stuff I used came in a short caulking tube and I used my caulking gun.

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #9  
Given the circumstances, I can't object to a "field expedient" fix. But I'd definitely consider it temporary, I shudder at the thought of that "gasket inna tube" crap circulating with my gear oil. The tractor should eventually be split when you get it back to a suitable location, and be fitted with a proper gasket. The threads on those bolts are almost certainly stretched as well. I'd recommend a new set of bolts in the final solution as well, plus a good gear oil flush.

//greg//

Willl, What application did you use this, right stuff, on?
Sure need this to work!
greg, When I get ready to split the tractor, we'll have the guest house ready.

Thanks for the help guys.

Richard