Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #101  
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys I’ll try to answer a few of the question
1 are the black places defective places in the link?[/I] It looks like pockets of black carbon in the casting I need to get checked out by an expert could be just how it broke
2 Did something get under that link or was it was torque pressure from braking/turning. Nothing caught in the tracks just pushing in a straight line a ball of scruby trees blade hit a bigger tree machine stopped then track snapped
3 How do you rate the under carriage? 100%, 50%, etc? the machine only has 30 hrs on it so carriage should still be 100%
4 That shoe edge is bent pretty badly, just what are you doing anyway? You have to remember that these are lightweight machines, so don't treat them like they are a D8 - they're not. Yes I know it is a lightweight machine but the scrub I were pushing over is no bigger than what I have done in the past with and old 743 Bobcat

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #102  
The part I think was defective was the cause of the failure. I have never seen a break like that even from abuse. It was just a failure waiting to happen I expect. It would be nice to know ASAP if this will be a repeating fail point of that set of tracks. At only 30 hours and doing a straight push I really really do not see any abuse.

Do you have access to the selling dealer?

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #103  
The warranty issue is complicated on my machine it is new old stock manufactured 2008 I did a deal with the local agent that I am happy with. Small claims are my problem if there is a big issue we will have to fight it out.
A new track shoe is winging its way across the Tasman from Midway sales in Australia.
I followed through on my plan detailed in earlier post only difference I laid a couple of cargo ratchet tie downs under the tracks before driving/towing the dozer back onto the tracks
Photo of tracks laid out ready for a tug from my trusty (rusty) old Leyland 344
ready.JPGleyland.JPGdone.JPG

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #104  
another couple of photos missed from above postratchet.JPGcloseup.JPGIMG_0622.JPGIMG_0627.JPG

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #105  
timbatrader that is an impressive solution and it looks like you now only need the new part.

That is a very nice looking dozer and as with most any machine made today you will just have to work through this type of factory defects.

Did you order a spare link. :)

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #106  
And yet another argument in favor of rubber tracks. For those that don't know, they have steel links and steel cables imbedded in them.

Good work Timba.

Those Eastwind people really know how to set up a dozer. Nice touch with the pre cleaner coming through the hood.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #107  
Yes the pre-cleaner is nicely tucked away out of harms way the downside being every time you open the hood to check the water you have remove it
Re rubber tracks I think it is a case of horse’s for courses one Of my neighbors a few miles up the valley has a small excavator on rubber tracks he wish’s he had steel the local Rotten rock is soft enough to shatter with the bucket but leaves shards sharp enough to cut rubber tracks to bits

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #108  
Timbatrader: I have broke a pad and a few axles, so I have had my tracks off more then I care to think about. I actually repaired the pad(welded) because I hated leaving my machine out in the weather while waiting for parts. I do have a couple of new pads sitting on the shelve in the garage, the one I welded is still holding strong, that was a couple yrs back (if I remember correct). These tracks are not hard to work with and you've allready got good advice. I'm with Bob on rubber tracks, I just haven't had the $$$$ to switch over and have not checked into who would have one. A while back I did have some extra $$$ and ask circle G about getting a set but they could not get any. Some day I will switch, I'd much rather run rubber on this machine then steal, wish I had done it in the 1st place.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #109  
My replacement track shoe turn up the other so I had the Dozer going for a short while. It pops fuses on the starting circuit whenever I turn on the glow plugs. Turns out the buzz bar linking all the glow plugs was shorting out on to one of the injectors an easy fix once I found it. What I would like to know if anyone could help what size fuse should I use. I have a parts book and a wiring diagram neither are any help the label on the fuse box indicates all fuse should be 15 amp the original fuse was a 30 amp. The closest I had was a 25amp that only lasts a few seconds with the glow plugs on I have since got 30amp and that works but don’t expect it last if it is less than 5amps over what would blow it. What current do three glow plugs draw and what is the appropriate fuse for that . Thanks

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #110  
A 30 amp fuse is max for the OEM wire size. If you wanted a larger fuse you would have to re-wire those affected components.
I did a small re-wire on mine and installed a 40 amp relay circuit on the glow plugs so the high current draw wasn't going through the key switch.
Works very well.