Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #21  
Bob that is a good idea on alarms. Our MH has an alarm to coolant temp. My son put the lower radiator hose on and I forgot to check it since he was only 9 and the clamp was too far back to get a good grip. The first time I stopped at a sign and got on it the hose blew off and in less than .5 miles the alarm when off and scared me but the block was not boiling and was still full of water. Lights and sound would be nice for a dozer.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #22  
Lights and sound would be nice for a dozer.

Yes. I have a red strobe under the ROPS and a piezoelectric horn on the dash. When I'm using the backhoe my back is turned on the strobe and instruments.
I installed alarms for high coolant temp., low engine oil pressure, and low fuel pressure (since I get attacked by diesel bugs occasionally).

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #23  
20-20: You don't need a lot of line to pull a tree over, just tie off a snatch block and pull in the opposite or different direction.

Ahh you assume a snatch block were to be used, very true. I pulled many trees over through the years using a come-a-long tied off to another non-movable object. Now I've gotten lazy :D I just use the bucket on the excavator and give a nice push.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...
Ok fellas, we have come to an agreement on purchase price(assuming the dozer is in the condition he described). I wanted to leave to pick it up this weekend but our schedules are conflicting so it looks like I will be on the road very early Tuesday morning on my way to pick up my first dozer. After speaking with the seller I found out that he did buy the machine new and has the original manuals. One negative point is that he did all of the maintenance himself and has no officail documentation. Does anyone know of any specific conditions or wear points I should look for on the machine before purchasing? Any particular noises or vibrations that should scare me?

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #25  
If you find any wear points after 57 hours of use consider leaving in at its current home. :)

It may have been covered but where do you fine the parts for this dozer?

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #26  
Good for you Jhogan2424, wear parts(??) this would pretty much include anything and everything :confused: As Gale Hawkins said there should not be to much wear on anything. If the gentleman said he did the service then you'll have to be a judge of his character and take him on his word. When ever I buy something used I investigate the seller allmost as much as I do the machine. Bad owner/operator usually means bad machine.
Check the track pins, mine like to bust(some), not a big deal TSC has hardened bolts that fit perfect, and work excellent. Check the oils make sure there are no contaminants. Check for leaks especially where it is usually parked(if possible). Drive it and make sure everything seems solid, make sure to work the steering clutches. Check the blade, pins, and slides. Check for lose bolts etc... , don't forget to watch/check the gages. Then "IF" you do decide this is your new tool, once you get it home go through everything, complete oil change, the whole 9 yards. Do you know much about diesel engines? How mechanically inclined are you?

@ Gale Hawkins; Parts are avaible from northern tool, circle G, tytan and others. I have broke a few major components(my doing NOT the machines) and had no trouble getting parts within a few days.

Thanks for suggestions guys. I shouldn't have a problem doing the routine maintenance and I will definetly go through all fluids before the dozer gets very far off the trailer.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #28  
There are a couple of grease fittings to check for dryness:
1) Front trunnion mount underneath the radiator. 2) On the bottom of the blade pivot pin.
Check the bolts that attach the transmission to the clutch housing, and from the clutch housing to the engine.

Congratulations! :dance1::cool2::dance1::thumbsup:

Thank you Bob, I can't wait to get the dozer picked up and get it to Arkansas. I will post some pics when I get it here. Thanks again for everyone's help here.

I have called the seller several times today and I am not getting a response. The last time we talked it was agreed that I would pick the dozer up tomorrow. I don't know whether to leave or not. It is nearly a 10 hour drive and that is a long time for someone that is not answering their phone. I am getting a little anxious and something doesn't seem right. Possible scam???