Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #71  
I did zoom in on the picture also Jhogan2424 and have to agree that does look like a crack in the wishbone itself, I can't be 100% sure though because it is somewhat blury when zooming. I also agree with Bob Rooks about being gray market, and Gale Hawkins #68 post.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #72  
I zoomed in again using software and cannot determine for sure if it is a crack. I compared the other side (yuck, leaking hydraulics?) and found the same anomaly. If it were a crack, it would be a fresh crack or simply painted-over dirt. Older cracks will show oxidation traces (rust tails) and possible fretting of the steel around the separation. This is a task for bare eyes and a pick. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #73  
That kind of staining since the last coat of paint leads me to think the leaking fluid was far from fresh clean fluid.

It will be interesting to what is found in person. It is about 5 hours away from me but it it was near by I would be glad to eyeball equipment for anyone. 20 hours of pulling an empty trailer is going to cost a bit of $$ and time and a hotel or two.

From my personal experience I now expect things to look twice as bad in person as in photo's. There are too many options today if one is not pushed for time. Many private sellers just want too much money. One needs to be mentally and financially prepared for $5000 repair bill on that size of dozer especially in a private sale. If the purchase price plus $5000 is more than one is willing to have invested then the deal should be killed. A local dealer told us on old dozers that is one can not work it for any hour or two there is NO way to know how it will work when hot which is key info needed to purchase.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #74  
A local dealer told us on old dozers that is one can not work it for any hour or two there is NO way to know how it will work when hot which is key info needed to purchase.

This is particularly true with steering clutches and dozers with powershift type transmissions and torque converters.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #75  
Saw a JD 700J LPG today near the office complex where I had an appointment so I checked it out. I was surprised it did not have a conventional drive sprocket but one that you could replace without removing the track it seemed. Each sprocket is made up of five parts that just bolt on to the drive wheel. It was a rental unit and hoses and blade had been roughed up pretty bad but the rest looked OK.

It stated the track that was supported on each end and in the middle with one roller should have a 2" +/-1/4" sag in the track. Expect the Komutsu in the photo has been worked on by a none skilled owner, etc. It could be someone is just trying to conceal track wear I guess perhaps.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #76  
Saw a JD 700J LPG today near the office complex where I had an appointment so I checked it out. I was surprised it did not have a conventional drive sprocket but one that you could replace without removing the track it seemed. Each sprocket is made up of five parts that just bolt on to the drive wheel. It was a rental unit and hoses and blade had been roughed up pretty bad but the rest looked OK.

It stated the track that was supported on each end and in the middle with one roller should have a 2" +/-1/4" sag in the track. Expect the Komutsu in the photo has been worked on by a none skilled owner, etc. It could be someone is just trying to conceal track wear I guess perhaps.

Segmented sprockets have been around for quite awhile. I think just about everybody uses them now, at least on the larger machines where sprockets can get pricey.
An educated buyer will know the qualifying center-to-center measurement on the track pins - that is the best way to measure pin & bushing wear reqardless of how tight the tracks are and how pretty they look

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #78  
For private use one can get some good cost/value ratios out of old equipment that is mechanically sound. let us know what you find out.

Did you pick up the dozer yesterday and make it back home yet?

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...
I am totally giving up on finding a dozer Gale. I had talked to the owner several times and explained that it would be a very long drive for me and he ASURED me the machine was tip-top and the spot in the picture that I thought might be a crack was simply accumulated dirt/grease. I left my house at 3:15 am yesterday morning and arrived in Muncie, Indiana just after noon. The owner was gone to lunch when I arrived but I couldn't wait and starting going over the machine. It took me about 4 seconds to realize I had made a wasted trip. The spot in the picture is just the tip of the iceburg. The whole inside area of the "c-frame" is so rusted that it is just crumbling apart on both sides and has simply been painted over. Several previous welded repairs on the same frame are broken. The owner tried to convince me that it was just surface rust and he could have his guys weld it up in about 10 minutes. He asked me to make an offer but I thought if he would lie to me about something I could see with my eyes he would surely lie about something else so I jumped in my truck and pointed it toward Arkansas. I got home just before midnight last night. WHY WOULD HE LIE ABOUT SOMETHING I COULD PLAINLY SEE???? DID HE THINK I WAS JUST GOING TO BUY IT ANYWAY??? WHAT A SORRY MUTT! I was so mad that I was literally having trouble breathing. The machine is located at 4001 Centennial avenue in Muncie, Indiana and the guy's name is Fred. If anyone ever has a dealing with this fella, be careful.

Last edited:
   / Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...
I really like the look of those Hitachi/Furukawa rigs but I have learned the parts are few and far between. I would probably consider one if the price was right though.