Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #1  

jhogan2424

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320
I am considering purchasing one of the small 30hp Nortrac dozers from a seller in Chicago. It is a 10 hour drive for me so I have only been able to see the dozer in pics and video. The machine seems fine but there is one thing I saw in the video that concerns me. When the blade is put in the down position it falls quickly to the ground. It seems to me that it should move very slowly. Does anyone know if this is normal on these dozers? Maybe he is doing it on purpose, I am not sure. Shouldn't the controls be as such that the further you move the control, the faster it goes down? I have a new Kubota BX25 and of course that is how the controls operate on it. This would be my first dozer purchase and just looking not to get stung. Any comment would be appreciated. Also I am going to try and attach a link for the 2 videos as I uploaded them to youtube after he emailed to me. Thanks, Jason

100 2136 2 - YouTube

100 2136 - YouTube

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #2  
I watched the 100 2136 2 video and while it appeared that the guy was "cowboying" the machine pretty hard, early in the video I could see the blade lowering at less than a full gravity speed drop so I think the valves are probably okay. A bit hard to be positive, but that's my opinion. And yes, the controls are supposed to be proportional and appear to be - the guy was just slamming them from stop to stop 99% of the time in the video.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...
I noticed that he was being a bit rough on it too. I hope they have not treated it that way the entire time they have had it. It has 57 hours at this time. I am like you, it's a little hard to tell if he was just "slamming" it or if it was falling under its' own weight. I have contacted him with this question and have not gotten a response yet. He is asking $8,000 for the machie. Is this price in the ballpark of what someone could expect to pay for one of these machines? Thanks for taking the time to view and give your opinion Mr. Waugh.

Last edited:
   / Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #4  
I only watched the 1st video, if you notice he slams the control all the way forward, so IMO, yes he is doing the slaming on purpose. Some dozer operators do this on purpose, not sure why? Not sure how many hrs are on the machine, and without taking a close look not sure what it is worth. I do own a nortrac(yuchai) and will write from my experience. I am very pleased with my machine, has very good power and capabilities for it's size. I have been tough on my machine but have taken care of it, it has done everything I've needed and then some. When anything has gone wrong with it, it was my error. There are others on here that own the same type machine I'm sure they'll chime in with some good advice.

You say this is your 1st dozer, just remember this IS NOT a D8. Many 1st timers get a dozer and feel they are invincible, nothing could be further from the truth. Heck even a D8 will break if treated wrong. If you do get the machine I'd suggest taking it easy and learn the machine, unlike popular belief dozers will NOT go through everything. When you do get stuck for the 1st time step off and assess the situation, bulling a dozer that is beganing to get stuck will only further the problem. With this size machine you'd be surprised at how taking little bites will work faster and better. Also when dozing try not to use your steering clutches, in other words line up for your push and go straight until the push is done.

Thanks very much for the info and suggestions. I believe I have watched many of your videos on youtube. Although there are several things that I plan to do with the dozer my main reason for purchase will be to clear off a couple of acres that is overgrown with small pine trees with diamaters mostly in the 3 to 4 inch range with a few going up to maybe 5 or 6 inches. Would this be asking too much from this small machine? I thought if it wouldn't tackle the bigger ones that I could leave them and come back with a chainsaw. My super small Kubota BX25 will push the trees over up to about 2" or so and then it's useless. I would estimate that there are maybe 200 trees in all with roughly 80 percent being in the 3 to 4" range.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #6  
That machine should push over 3-4" pines just fine, I'd think. The 6" ones may be a bit tougher, but you can often get around that by throwing a chain around them about head high and then pulling them over. Lots of leverage that way. I've done this quite successfully with my 30hp tractor.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #7  
What the guys say is true. Take it easy until you learn it's limitations - and yours. The Chinese valves are very sensitive to say the least. I haven't seen the video yet, I'm on my phone but I'll check it out when I get home. I have a bunch of Yuchai dozer videos on You Tube, so maybe you saw mine.
Most first time small dozer buyers fit a particular demograpic. You want to see service records, even if it only has 57 hrs. on it, this tells you the owner treats the machine responsibly.

More to come.

More of my dozer stuff here: https://www.facebook.com/yuchaidozer
And here: http://www.ctoa.net/

Last edited:
Thanks again Bob, I am having a blast just researching the info you guys are giving me. I am hoping the dozer is in respectable condition as I am really gearing myself up to purchase it. I don't want to get ahead of myself and jump into something but I have high hopes. I am trying to gather enough information to be able to make a go/no-go decision by the weekend and maybe leave Saturday from Arkansas(near Memphis) on my way to Chicago which I believe is about a 10 hour drive, maybe longer pulling a big trailer in unfamiliar territory.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #9  
I would like to have a dozer like that too.

One thought when we were looking for a FEL for the 60 HP 265 MF we ran across a 1983 JD 310B backhoe (60 HP and may be based to a 3020) for $7200 which was close to what a new FEL for the MF was going to cost so we bought. A few hoses, a couple 0-rings and a starter it has done a lot of work the last 2.5 years. 30" is about as large of trees that we have pushed over but that size requires some BH use.

While not a dozer I find we use the BH all of the time. Just yesterday we ran over to the neighbors and got a bucket full of washed gravel so we could properly replace the 25 year old frost proof hydrant. Then today I put some dense grade for the tire track at his mail box then came back into the yard to scope up the mud that we dug out.

Not trying to talk you out of the dozer at all but for clearing ground it was not aware what an $8000 backhoe can do.

Clearing with a backhoe leaves some rough ground after digging out trees and having a small dozer with a six way blade would be so sweet. :)

Get us some pictures when you get it home.

I will definetly post some pictures should I pull the trigger on it. The seller claims that it needs nothing, but after reading through all of these post I am sure there are some things it needs that he's not even aware of. LOL I will be spening the next couple of days negotiating over the phone as to a final price.