Power steering hydraulic fitting ID

/ Power steering hydraulic fitting ID #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
Does anyone know what kind of fitting is on the end of the power steering outlet hose on a Jinma 354? This is the hose I'm talking about:
Outlet pipe II

One end has a 90-degree male threaded pipe that goes into a banjo fitting on the priority valve. It's the other end I'm interested in. It's a female threaded fitting, I don't know how to ID it.

Alternately, does anyone know the diameter of that hose?

The background: I want to add remote hydraulics to my tractor. I need a hydraulic return line for that. My hydraulic tank only has one opening, which is the return pipe from the power steering. That's a hard pipe and I don't feel like cutting it. At the tank there's no possibility of teeing in because the connection is right behind the 3-point hitch control. The other end is at the priority valve and there is no room to tee because the FEL bracket is right up against it. The return from the power steering is a hose running from the steering box to the priority valve. It seems my best bets are either to put a tee between the steering box and the hose, or to cut the hose and put in a barbed tee.

To put a tee on the end of the hose I need to know what kind of fitting it is. To cut the hose i need to know the hose diameter.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Power steering hydraulic fitting ID #2  
   / Power steering hydraulic fitting ID
Thanks Tommy.

I did some quick googling on ORFS metric fittings and what I learned was enough to scare me away. So now I'm thinking I have three options: cut and tee into the hose between the steering box the priority valve, cut and tee into the pipe between the priority valve and the hydraulic tank, or drill and tap into the hydraulic tank.

None of the three seem particularly easy. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks.

/ Power steering hydraulic fitting ID #4  
Thanks Tommy.

I did some quick googling on ORFS metric fittings and what I learned was enough to scare me away. So now I'm thinking I have three options: cut and tee into the hose between the steering box the priority valve, cut and tee into the pipe between the priority valve and the hydraulic tank, or drill and tap into the hydraulic tank.

None of the three seem particularly easy. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Is the hose size common and known? If so, I'd see if there are reusable fittings for that size and go that route.

But if not, I'd drill the top, unless:

On my tractor, I have a quick connect that comes out the back that was supposed to handle a dump trailer. But, on the opposite side of that QD, there is a pipe that is to allow draining the hydraulic fluid out of the lift body (for fluid changes). If I had to do it, I'd use that on my tractor. So, it begs the question...can the drain for your lift body (even if it is different than mine) be pressed into service for your task?

Is the hose size common and known? If so, I'd see if there are reusable fittings for that size and go that route.

But if not, I'd drill the top, unless:

On my tractor, I have a quick connect that comes out the back that was supposed to handle a dump trailer. But, on the opposite side of that QD, there is a pipe that is to allow draining the hydraulic fluid out of the lift body (for fluid changes). If I had to do it, I'd use that on my tractor. So, it begs the question...can the drain for your lift body (even if it is different than mine) be pressed into service for your task?

I have looked and looked and cannot find a drain on my hydraulic tank. I agree that would be easiest. I'm not saying it's not there, I just can't find it.

/ Power steering hydraulic fitting ID #6  
I have looked and looked and cannot find a drain on my hydraulic tank. I agree that would be easiest. I'm not saying it's not there, I just can't find it.

Mine is a Farmpro, year on fender 2004. It is supposed to be like a 304. The drain pipe on mine originates at the right rear of the lift box at the very bottom. I'm sure if your's were in the same place, you'd find it.

If mine didn't have a drain, and I wanted a new entrance, I'd be tempted to make a drain if the setup made me feel I could pull it off without ruining anything.

/ Power steering hydraulic fitting ID #7  
The drain on my JM254 was at the rear of the lift box, hopefully yours is the same. Look above and to the left of the PTO shaft. There's one hex head that looks out of place. That should be the hydraulic sump drain.

Can't remember with my Jinmas, but here's a photo of how to connect additional hydraulics to my TS354C. Haven't seen fittings like these - the gold colored ones - on mainstream tractors. So if your Jinma has locations to which they can be installed, you'll almost certainly have to get them from a Chinese tractor dealer.

//greg//

Attachments

• CIMG0005.jpg
    CIMG0005.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 364
   / Power steering hydraulic fitting ID #8  
Can you retap the fill/vent port to take a "T"? This will allow you to still have a fill/vent and use the other leg of the "T" to install your new return.

Chris

I'll take a look, but the fill/vent is under the seat, I have to slide the seat forward to check the level. I'm not sure I can fit a tee in there.

/ Power steering hydraulic fitting ID #10  
I added rear and front remotes to my Jinma 284. Attached is a photo of the drain. I put an NPT cross on the existing return line. It was already NPT so I just added more off the shelf connections.

Return.JPG