Electrical Mystery WT404

/ Electrical Mystery WT404 #1  

Hickory Creek

Bronze Member
Tractor
WT404
OK, here goes. The last few times I have used tractor, the green charge, volt, light comes on as it should. But, the battery light Flashes RED at the same time until I apply brakes, put turn signal on, or put load on system. It will go off and quit flashintg at that point unless I get the revs up above 1800 at which point sometimes it will start flashing only at a slower rate again. Drop revs with electrical load and Red battery indicator light quits flashing, green volt lighjt still on. Batteries stay charged. Anyone run across this situation before. Thanks in advance. Yes, alternator belt is loose, but is turning pulley. I am hoping to wait until season is over to really start a total workover on tractor, as it sure does come in handy.

/ Electrical Mystery WT404 #2  
Tighten the alternator belt, and consider buying a new voltage regulator. Pretty sure your VR is external, that makes it simple. But if you've got an alternator with a built-in VR, that makes it a bit more complicated.

//greg//

/ Electrical Mystery WT404 #3  
Curious why you haven't tightened the belt? Turning the pulley is one thing, turning it at rated speed is another. The belt also drives the coolant pump and the fan, and that's worth at least 3 HP.

/ Electrical Mystery WT404
Back problems. I try to stay away from bent over positions as much as posssible.

/ Electrical Mystery WT404 #5  
On my AgPro 354, the voltage regulator is a silver unit with fins (approx 1" x 2") which plugs into the rear of the fuse holder. I was having similar problems. The belt was tight but charging was hit and miss. Turns out the connector the VR plugs into is flaky and the VR didn't make reliable contact. A zip tie around the VR and the fuse holder did the trick.

/ Electrical Mystery WT404 #6  
Make sure all the gang plugs are making good contact. My Foton would not engage the starter every once in a while until I went into the wiring and found a gang plug for all the switches on the instrument panel, including the starter circuit. I unplugged the gang plug, which looked like new, cleaned it with electrical spray cleaner, put it back together and the problem was solved. I had the same thing happen on a cruse control once, where a gang plug didn't make proper contact. Cleaned the plug and all went well. PJ