Bronze Member
    Tractor
    WT404

Default Electrical Mystery WT404

OK, here goes. The last few times I have used tractor, the green charge, volt, light comes on as it should. But, the battery light Flashes RED at the same time until I apply brakes, put turn signal on, or put load on system. It will go off and quit flashintg at that point unless I get the revs up above 1800 at which point sometimes it will start flashing only at a slower rate again. Drop revs with electrical load and Red battery indicator light quits flashing, green volt lighjt still on. Batteries stay charged. Anyone run across this situation before. Thanks in advance. Yes, alternator belt is loose, but is turning pulley. I am hoping to wait until season is over to really start a total workover on tractor, as it sure does come in handy.

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Default Re: Electrical Mystery WT404

Tighten the alternator belt, and consider buying a new voltage regulator. Pretty sure your VR is external, that makes it simple. But if you've got an alternator with a built-in VR, that makes it a bit more complicated.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Curious why you haven't tightened the belt? Turning the pulley is one thing, turning it at rated speed is another. The belt also drives the coolant pump and the fan, and that's worth at least 3 HP.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, 7' Dual Dozer with dual Trimble GCR-2 laser receivers.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    WT404

Back problems. I try to stay away from bent over positions as much as posssible.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720; AgPro 354

On my AgPro 354, the voltage regulator is a silver unit with fins (approx 1" x 2") which plugs into the rear of the fuse holder. I was having similar problems. The belt was tight but charging was hit and miss. Turns out the connector the VR plugs into is flaky and the VR didn't make reliable contact. A zip tie around the VR and the fuse holder did the trick.
    John Deere 3720 w/ FEL, backhoe & 72" mid-mount mower
    (retired) AgPro/Jinma 354 w/ Koyker 160 FEL
    6' bush hog, 6' King Cutter tiller, 6.5' King Cutter disk harrow

Tractor
    JD, Farmall, Ford, NorTrac 60 hp.

Make sure all the gang plugs are making good contact. My Foton would not engage the starter every once in a while until I went into the wiring and found a gang plug for all the switches on the instrument panel, including the starter circuit. I unplugged the gang plug, which looked like new, cleaned it with electrical spray cleaner, put it back together and the problem was solved. I had the same thing happen on a cruse control once, where a gang plug didn't make proper contact. Cleaned the plug and all went well. PJ
    Remember, There's no such thing as failure to a persistent person.
    It's just a detour in a learning experience.