taishan cold start

/ taishan cold start #1  

stampede38899

Tractor
Tiashan Dragon 270
I have a taishan dragon 270. I had to replace the ignition switch. trying to figure out the cold start. the old switch had a reverse on the switch for cold start. the new ford switch does aswell. I figured out which wire is suppose to go the cold start but it does not seem to work. I also dont see any thing on the block that looks like a heater or anything. any help would be appreciated.

/ taishan cold start #2  
There's a remote chance that you have a direct injection engine, some of which are not equipped with pre-heat. But I sorta think you have indirect injection. If true, there are two basic types of pre-heat; glow plugs, and manifold heater. With the glow plug system, there's one plug per cylinder. It looks like a real skinny spark plug, and is screwed into threads in the cylinder head. Your engine is likely too old for direct injection, so look for them sticking out of the cylinder head on the same side as the fuel injectors. They'll probably be poking out at an angle. If you have the manifold heater type (also called a flame heater or intake heater), there's only one heat source. But the give away is that there's also a fuel source.

With glow plugs, the HEAT position simply sends electricity to ground through the plugs. The internal resistance makes them hot enough to assist compression ignition. With a manifold heater, the HEAT position energizes one glow source in the manifold which in turn heats the air around it. As soon as you go from HEAT to START, intake vacuum sucks both fuel and hot air into the cylinder. In some designs, HEAT actually starts a little fire in the intake, which vacuum then sucks into the cylinder. Either way, the hot/flaming air entering a cold diesel cylinder is what helps get them started.

Glow plug circuit starts at the HEAT position, then one wire to the engine compartment. That wire then splits to 2 or 3 or 4 individual glow plugs by either more wire - or by a copper buss bar. Manifold heater circuit also starts at the HEAT position, then one wire to the engine compartment. But one only. Secondarily there's a fuel source to the manifold. Hopefully with this description you can determine which system you have.

//greg//

/ taishan cold start
im not sure how old the tractor is or what year it is. it also has the decompession lever. ill look and see if i can see the glow plugs and thanks for the advise.

/ taishan cold start
I looked on my tractor and didnt see any plugs that i know of. what i saw was where the two injectors are. they are a hard line back to the fuel pump(atleast what im thinking) and then on top of those are a soft(looks like a fuel line) going from the gas tank to the injectors and then to the intake manifold.

/ taishan cold start #5  
You're describing a manifold type pre-heater. Somewhere in the vicinity of where that fuel line enters the manifold should be a single glow plug. You may see nothing of it except an electrical connection, I'm not sure. Then there should be one wire connecting it to the HEAT position on the keyswitch. It may or may not go through the fuse box.

//greg//