Hydraulic Leak and hot hydraulic lines on JM 254

/ Hydraulic Leak and hot hydraulic lines on JM 254 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was using the 3-pt hitch frequently this week-end (using a 5ft box blade for 5 hours straight) and noticed something that concerns me. It appears that some hydraulic fluid is leaking from the right side 3pt hitch lift arm where it connects to the tractor. I had just checked the fluid (screw under back of seat) prior to using it and everything looked good. In addition, The metal hydraulic lines were very hot to the touch. (I was using it 5 hours straight) The functions of the tractor (lift, steering) seem to work ok but I did smell hot fluid. After noticing the leaking fluid I shut it off and checked fluid again. The fluid was low but not gone (the leak did not appear to be THAT bad) My questions are:

1. Should hydraulic lines be hot?
2. What fluid should go back into the unit (will the Wal-mart brand of Tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid be ok to use. If not what do you recommend)
3. What could be causing the leak around the lifter arm? A bad o-ring?

/ Hydraulic Leak and hot hydraulic lines on JM 254
<font color="blue"> 1. Should hydraulic lines be hot? </font>
The fluid can get pretty warm with steady use. As for hot, How Hot? A good rule of thumb is that if you can force yourself to leave your hand on it for 8 seconds it's less than 150 degF (Caution, Never try this you can get burn't).

<font color="blue"> 2. What fluid should go back into the unit (will the Wal-mart brand of Tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid be ok to use. If not what do you recommend) </font>
I'll defer this to someone that knows more about your particular tractor. I suspect that it would be fine though.

<font color="blue"> 3. What could be causing the leak around the lifter arm? A bad o-ring? </font>
Yep, you have a bad seal. Could be simple to fix or it could be a real pain.

<font color="blue"> (the leak did not appear to be THAT bad) </font>
Did you look at the leak while you were using the lift to see if it got worse. If it doesn't look like that much oil could possibly have come from this leak the you should check for another place it could be going.

I think I found the source of the leak. It is a screw in top of the lifter arm caller a weeper screw. It has come loose. Someone recommended that I put blue rtv on it and re-tighten.

As for the hot hydr. lines: Will the pump be hot only if its failing (has a bad bearing)

Thanks

Re: Hydraulic Leak and hot hydraulic lines on JM 2

Don't let any of that blue RTV get into your hydraulic system, It would be bad. If you work a hydraulic system hard it is normal for the fluid to get pretty warm 150-175 degrees or so. Pressure generates heat, so the more you use it the warmer it gets.

/ Hydraulic Leak and hot hydraulic lines on JM 254 #5  
Re: Hydraulic Leak and hot hydraulic lines on JM 2

I have to agree. Constant use of Hyd's is going to make it pretty hot. I doub't these machines have a hyd oil cooler, other than what can dissapate and be heat sunk through the body casting while the oil is sitting in the sump waiting to be recirculated.

Soundguy