Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Default Re: NOISE FROM INTAKE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post
    Ya, REALLY! Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking direct reversible engines, and right-hand rotation engines. Only an inexperienced operator would allow an engine to stall anyway.

But I'm sticking by the valve adjustment.
    Judging from the tone of his post, I say he is probabally an in-experienced operator?? Do dis-respect intended to the OP.

And I DONT consier myself in-experienced, but I do stall my stuff on ocassion. Not so much the BH due to the TC trans, my by hear kubota....I have stalled to before. Trying to work as quickly (efficiently) as possible moving dirt, and maybe be in a gear too high
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Advertiser
    Tractor
    Jinma

Most of these jinmas have a little sucking sound in the intake anyway, adjusting you head torq and valves as Bob suggested will probably take care of it.

Ben
    Circle G Tractor Sales, Inc.
    Jinma Tractor Parts, Farm Pro Tractor Parts, Farmpro, Nortrack, Agracat

Tractor
    NORTRAC NT-20C /Jinma Y380 engine

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE VALVE COVER & SET VALVES......I'VE GOT SPECS JUST WOULD LIKE ANY TIME SAVING & KNUCKLE SAVING REMEDIES I.E.STEPS TO KEEP FROM SCREWING UP MENTALLY AS WELL AS MECHANICLY...
    ...ANY HELP WILL BE MOST APPRECIATED.

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Did you not get a set of manuals with your tractor? If yes, the valve lash adjustment procedure should be on pg4-1. If no, I can probably scan mine for upload. But I hesitate to push you into a job for which you may not be qualified. Given that you actually had to ask, I wonder if it wouldn't be more prudent to hire a qualified diesel mechanic to do it for you.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by DUMMASS View Post
    WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE VALVE COVER & SET VALVES......I'VE GOT SPECS JUST WOULD LIKE ANY TIME SAVING & KNUCKLE SAVING REMEDIES I.E.STEPS TO KEEP FROM SCREWING UP MENTALLY AS WELL AS MECHANICLY...
    ...ANY HELP WILL BE MOST APPRECIATED.
    Mine is a 304. One of the biggest problems I was going to have was rotating the engine to get the cam to various positions. Fortunately, my main pulley has a groove that has no belt in it. So I got my trusty Harbor Freight v-belt pulley wrench, and I was able to put the engine anywhere I wanted it.

It looks just like this one, but I didn't pay near that much for it. And that thing saved me recently on my Subaru timing belt job since I was able to hold that wrench with my left hand, and loosen and then re-tighten the pulley bolt all by myself.

V-BELT WRENCH PULLEY LOCKING TOOLS (1901A)

Another tip, there seems to be right much slop in the little caps and rods, etc in the valve linkage, so be sure to tighten the lifters until you have right descent drag on the feeler gauge. Also, get mechanics gloves to wear if you don't have them already...some of the stuff under there can be sort of sharp.

Another tip...do head bold re-torque first. On mine, If I recall correctly, I had to actually remove the cam to get to all the bolts, though yours might be different. If that is true for you, be sure to understand where the cam gets oil, and make sure those paths are all clean. I was right outside my garage, so I blasted a bit of air through them and then hit it with my oil can. Make sure none of the bushings that the rocker arms ride on are shifted.

I hope I haven't said too much that is only true for my tractor but not true for yours. I wish you good luck.
    Which is bigger?: a) $100 per month since the Big Bang or b) the US National Debt.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by EE_Bota View Post
    One of the biggest problems I was going to have was rotating the engine to get the cam to various positions. Fortunately, my main pulley has a groove that has no belt in it. So I got my trusty Harbor Freight v-belt pulley wrench, and I was able to put the engine anywhere I wanted it.
    When it's time to adjust valve lash again, release the compression before rotating the crank pulley. Besides encountering less resistance with the pulley wrench, it's safer. No compression, no accidental starting. Use one hand on a box or open end at the fuel tank end of the compression release rock shaft, and your other hand for the pulley wrench on the crankshaft pulley nut; open compression, rotate crankshaft, close compression, adjust, repeat.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    Dongfeng 254G2

Here is a link to a page describing setting valves on a Dongfeng engine

Information

Cleat
    DF 254G2 with cab and Townsunny fel-250 loader with Prince Hydraulics joystick. BE 72" finishing mower and 72" snowblower with hydraulic rotation and deflection. Hydraulic top link, 72" Townsunny box blade. Adaptor to mount 3pt attachments on front end loader in place of the bucket. Woodmax 8" hydraulic feed wood chipper (makes the poor DF work). Pallet forks that mount front or rear.

Tractor

Except that we're not talking about a DongFeng engine. As you likely know, a typical DF three cylinder is the ChangChai ZN390T. But the Jinma-based 204C engine is a YangDong Y380T. Besides, your link only points to generic instructions for finding TDC, which is just a preliminary step in the overall process.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor

YEPPERS THE MANUAL IS ALL WRONG SAYS SET #1 @TDC ROTATE 40 DEGREES (INSTEAD OF 240 DEGREES) AFTER TURNIG 40 DEGREES ADJUST THE OTHER TWO CYLINDERS..HA HA HA HA DOESN'T SAY WHICH IS EXHAUST OR INTAKE VALVES......AFTER MUCH SERCHING (& COMMON SENSE)I LOCATED THE CORRECT WAY TO ADJUST LASHE .....ENGINE SOUNDS NEW...I'VE LEARNED YOU CAN THROW THE MANUAL AWAY UNLESS YOU USE IT JUST FOR A REFERENCE GUIDE....OR T.P.

Tractor

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AS THIS IS MY 1ST TRACTOR IT IS A YANGDONG Y380T ENGINE ...AGAIN MANY THANKS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast