NOISE FROM INTAKE

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #1  

DUMMASS

Tractor
NORTRAC NT-204C /Jinma Y380 engine
HEY GUYS, I JUST STARTED HEARING WHAT SOUNDS LIKE EXHAUST THRU MY BREATHER????????/
I'M TOLD IT'S A JINMA 20HP 3 CYLINDER DIESEL(NOR TRAC NT204-C) 293HRS. ON IT, HAS HAD REG. SCHEDULED MAINT.

ANY IDEAS?:confused3:

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #2  
An other symptoms...is the power down?

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #3  
Hopefully you shut the tractor off. Sounds as if it is running backwards. (yes diesels can do that), in which the exhaust becomes the intake and the intake becomes the exhaust.

It is usually caused by doing hard work, and pretty much stalling the engine, and then whatever you are working releases pressure and caused the engine to "start" backwards.

An example would be be like pulling something heavy, and you pop a wheelie, and stall. If you dont press the clutch, when the tractor sets back down, it spins the motor in reverse.

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #4  
Adjust the valves and it will go away.
Four stroke engines won't run backwards without the proper camshaft. Two strokes will.

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE
THANKS WILL ADJUST VALVES...IS THIS COMMON ? SHOULD I RETORQUE HEAD BOLTS TOO?

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #7  
THANKS WILL ADJUST VALVES...IS THIS COMMON ? SHOULD I RETORQUE HEAD BOLTS TOO?

Re-torque all head bolts first, in sequence, then adjust valves.
Those symptoms are usually avoided by performing this maintenance within the first 50 hours of operation.

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #9  

Ya, REALLY! Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking direct reversible engines, and right-hand rotation engines. Only an inexperienced operator would allow an engine to stall anyway.

But I'm sticking by the valve adjustment.

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #10  
If this is your first diesel, intake is voracious (compared to petrol engines). I assume you're describing "sounds like exhaust" when the air filter is removed. In that respect, a good air filter might be considered to act as a muffler. If you're hearing excessive intake noises with the filter installed - check for damage to the filter itself. If it's ok, look for a hole in the airflow path between the filter and the intake manifold. Finally, make sure the intake manifold hasn't started to come loose and/or that the manifold gasket is intact.

//greg//