Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter.

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #21  
I don't recommend that toggle switch idea as stated. A self-resetting push button switch won't catch on clothes or on brush. Plus - the first time a simple toggle is inadvertently left in the ON position, best case scenario is that either/all of the following will burn out: switch/wire/glow plugs. Worst case; fire. If a toggle is used at all, it must be the spring return type that goes to OFF as soon as you let go. Then it must be rated to switch no less than 30 amps, as must the wire connecting it to the glow plugs. The safest way is to replace the cheap OE keyswitch with a decent aftermarket cold start switch and a heavy duty Ford-type relay. The OE wire is sufficient to connect the keyswitch HEAT post with the relay. Then use 10AWG copper primary wire to connect the relay to the battery and to the glow plug buss bar.

The older Y80/Y85 series engines are notorious hard starters, regardless of conditions. I've had 3 of them. And the colder it gets, the harder they resist starting. Worst case scenario is one with no compression release. That was the case with my Y485. There wasn't enough room between the valve cover and the fuel tank, so the manufacturer simply sold the tractor with no compression release. So I used the above described glow plug relay PLUS a heavy duty starter relay PLUS an oil pan heater. Started first time/every time after that.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #22  
If that works for you Greg it works for us.

Ben
Circle G Tractors

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #23  
Ben & Greg; Did you both inadvertently omit the use of a 30 amp fuse or ATC thermal circuit breaker in your alternate wiring schemes, or am I missing something?

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #24  
Moot point Bob. Glow plug circuit on older models is protected by the 30A system fuse. Newer models have a separately fused (30A) glow plug circuit.

//greg//

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter.
Thanks the tips guys. I got my order from Affordable today. I'll do the glow plugs and inline heater to play it safe.

Tommy, did you guys run out packing materials? :) :D

The parts were well packed in what seemed to be a bed cover. Everything arrived intact, but I thought that was pretty funny. My wife gave me the "Did you order bed sheets?" look. I said in my most plain voice.. "No honey..its for the tractor." :laughing:

Thanks guys!

Circle, I'll try you guys next. I ordered from Tommy's crew before and got it quick, clean and well fitting.

20121221_160548.jpg

20121221_160648.jpg

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #26  
Thanks the tips guys. I got my order from Affordable today. I'll do the glow plugs and inline heater to play it safe.

Tommy, did you guys run out packing materials? :) :D

The parts were well packed in what seemed to be a bed cover. Everything arrived intact, but I thought that was pretty funny. My wife gave me the "Did you order bed sheets?" look. I said in my most plain voice.. "No honey..its for the tractor." :laughing:

Thanks guys!

Circle, I'll try you guys next. I ordered from Tommy's crew before and got it quick, clean and well fitting.

View attachment 293838

View attachment 293839

Most times, packing material is either for the trash or the recycling. Affordable packing can be used for many things, and bare minimum, it goes into my rag box into the garage.

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #27  
Moot point Bob. Glow plug circuit on older models is protected by the 30A system fuse. Newer models have a separately fused (30A) glow plug circuit.

//greg//

In the case of using the existing wiring for the coil of the relay, only the coil circuit is protected not the new #10 lead from the battery post to the glow plugs via the relay contacts.

In Ben's example of using the toggle switch only, omits the use of a fuse or breaker altogether.

This must have been a recognized issue with Yuchai because the dozer's already have a relay in the starter solenoid circuit.

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #28  
The local Church thrift store has been giving us cotton rags for years, they were getting so many that we were picking up 10-12 bags a week. Lite bulb went off, why are we buying packing material? we can pack with these rags,plus most guys are always looking for rags for the shop .It serves several purposes,everybody gets some use from them. Believe it or not, I have some customers that ask for a certian size!!! I have pics of some dressed in the rags,( Tee shirts,shorts on the customer it's Hillarious,)

So with just about every order from us you will get free shop rags

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ Farmpro 2425 / Jinma 254 hard starting in the winter. #29  
This must have been a recognized issue with Yuchai because the dozer's already have a relay in the starter solenoid circuit.
Uh-huh. But in order for your example to support your contention, that relay would have to be separately fused as well. I'm talking about a comparatively massive Ford-type starter relay between the keyswitch and the glow plugs. The problem with the YangDong electrical system is voltage loss. In the case of the glow plug circuit, not enough voltage is actually arriving at the buss bar. Insufficient voltage through a fixed resistance means insufficient amperage. Insufficient amperage means inadequate pre-heat. Using a HD Ford-type starter relay is a simple and safe solution to ensure the full 12v is delivered to the glow plugs.

But if it makes you feel better to fuse your relays - by all means go for it.

//greg//