Magnetic or Blanket Heaters

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #21  
The hydraulic system is separate from the engine system on the PT's
Fair enough, but the point remains; this diesel cooling system is filled with oil, vice the conventional anti-freeze/water solution. And that a pan heater underneath would assist greatly the cold starts.

//greg//

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #22  
On the Deutz engine: If it has a large double belt driven fan and ductwork around the engine - it's air cooled. And yes, it will have an oil-to air heat exchanger (you call it a radiator).
Sorry Bob, I don't buy that definition. An air cooled engine in my book is just that. No radiator, no pump, no coolant passages, just heat sinks (fins) and perhaps something to move the air past them. And given that you admit it's has a radiator is part way to admitting it's liquid cooled. But in this case the liquid is oil rather than the conventional anti-freeze/water solution. And quite honestly, I don't think I've ever run across an air cooled engine of that size.

//greg//

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #23  
Mine does not have ductwork around the engine and it has a single belt.

Ken

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #24  
Ok, personally i have used just about all kinds of heaters over the years. While living in Havre Montana in the late 80's my truck had Lower radiator heater, a engine block heater and a battery blanket heater and i occasionally had to use a salamander heater to free up the transmission :laughing: :licking: :laughing:. 60 below does a number on any rig.

My older JD870 came with a lower block heater that worked great for over 14 years..and was still working when i sold the tractor.

My new Kioti DK45 HST did not come with a heater. My dealer was reluctant to install a block heater for some reason. I was going to try to install a lower radiator heater, but on the HST cab tractor, the lower radiator hose comes out of the radiator and makes an immediate 90 degree bend up. there was no room to install one.

I use a magnetic heater on my whole house generator oil pan, and it actually works great on that application. The pan is fairly small and i have never had an issue with hard starts in winter for over 16 years with that unit. Its attached to a thermometer equipped plug in unit so it operates 100% of the time temps drop below 35F.

The oil reserves on the Kioti are WAY to large for a magnetic heater. I went with the Wolverine glue on heat pads Wolverine Heaters - The Most Trusted Engine Oil Heater For Cold-Weather Starts

I am really impressed with these units. I placed 2 small 125 watt units on the split oil pan base (the front axle splits the oil pan, so 2 heat pads were needed) and i also placed a 250 watt heater on my 25 gallon hydraulic tank that runs my snowblower.

No matter what anyone here says, the tractor starts easier, no lugging , and runs smoother after the heater has had a few hours to work. Mine are installed on a timeclock to operate 2 hours prior to my normal winter plow times.

If no snow is predicted in the near future, i simply click the timer button that delays the auto timer from working until the button is pushed again.

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #25  
I have good luck using the magnetic heater. My kubota must not know how junk they are when it is -5 degrees out. I run Mobil one oil and stick the heater on the oil pan. On some really bad days the mag gets stuck on the 7.3 oil pan also. I like my equipment better when it starts and the magnetic heater has made this possible.

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #26  
Sorry Bob, I don't buy that definition. An air cooled engine in my book is just that. No radiator, no pump, no coolant passages, just heat sinks (fins) and perhaps something to move the air past them. And given that you admit it's has a radiator is part way to admitting it's liquid cooled. But in this case the liquid is oil rather than the conventional anti-freeze/water solution. And quite honestly, I don't think I've ever run across an air cooled engine of that size.

//greg//
DEUTZ V12 DIESEL MODEL A12L614 YEAR 1954 - YouTubeThis is a V-12. The V-8's are also popular in European class 8 trucks. There are also liquid cooled versions of this engine that I've worked on.
The smaller in-line six engines are used extensively in oil field operations as unattended pump engines. They are very good diesel engines.
I didn't admit it had a radiator per se, I only acquiesced to ignorance instead of arguing "heat exchanger" (it's not semantics, it's what a radiator is).
So in updating my knowledge base, I see Deutz now has two versions of jacket liquid cooled engines. One cooled by oil and the other cooled by conventional coolant, and of the jacket oil cooled variety there are two versions; one using an on-engine heat exchanger and another using an off-engine heat exchanger. Hard to tell which engine lies within the Magna Track without a model number, but my guess it's the L-2011, a newer model.
http://www.deutz.com/live_deutz_products/html/display:selection.de.html
In any event, there is a high velocity fan that cools the heat exchangers. Just try to run the engines without it.
Cummins is the only manufacturer I know of that experimented with a no-coolant diesel engine at the University of Washington in the late '70's. The details I remember most were a fully synthetic/graphite slurry lubricant, and ceramic engine components.

I also agree with Greg on the magnetic heaters. I use them on the skid steer hydraulics when it gets real cold.

Last edited:
   / Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #27  
I have good luck using the magnetic heater. My kubota must not know how junk they are when it is -5 degrees out. I run Mobil one oil and stick the heater on the oil pan. On some really bad days the mag gets stuck on the 7.3 oil pan also. I like my equipment better when it starts and the magnetic heater has made this possible.
I never once said they don't work. My point - repeatedly - is that they're simply not as efficient as other devices such as pan heaters/block heaters/tank heaters/etc. And my definition of efficient is the maximum amount of heat DELIVERED for the least amount of electricity consumed. Magnetic heaters are at the bottom of that heap.

But if the electric bill doesn't bother you, who am I to criticize.

//greg//

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #28  
I for one prefer a synthetic oil for it's cold starting and lubricating properties; both in vehicles and tractors! Here in Saskatchewan it's extremely cold in winter and I utilize inline rad heaters with synthetic oil in both my tractors. With glow plugs they spin over quite easily in -35C and start quickly! Of course I'm working diligently at getting a shop as this will greatly improve the life of the tractors.

Cory

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #29  
And then there's the Lister diesel engines with the thermocycling cooling system. No heat exchanger in the currently accepted sense, though the sheer volume of coolant in the tower does allow for significant heat transfer to atmosphere through conduction. I just don't think I'd want that system on a tractor, somehow. Nor would I want it in prolonged freezing conditions - but then, I wouldn't want even a short freeze. I hate cold! Got down to 60 here last night and I darn near seized up. :laughing:

/ Magnetic or Blanket Heaters #30  
I vote for the heater on the lower radiator hose. Works for me, have it plugged in right now.

A good while has passed, what kind of heater did you instal?