284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #11  
Roll pins don't usually bend, they break - they're brittle because they're hard spring steel. Really bad juju to have whirling around in a case full of softer gears, eh? Get it out.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear
Appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately, I already drained the Xmsn and the pin is nowhere to be found. I probed under the gears, where I couldn't see well, with a magnetic retriever and still no luck. Short of tearing the Xmsn apart, it appears I may have to take my chances.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #13  
Before you put it back together, I would suggest shifting through ALL of the gears and combinations in case it might be 'stuck'. I'd also run my fingers around all of the gears as much as possible.
RonJ

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #14  
Appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately, I already drained the Xmsn and the pin is nowhere to be found. I probed under the gears, where I couldn't see well, with a magnetic retriever and still no luck. Short of tearing the Xmsn apart, it appears I may have to take my chances.
The lowest fluid point is the transfer case, that's where you should have drained. In fact - if you haven't refilled yet - remove the transfer case from the transmission for a better look. With the fluid drained, it's a simple matter of disconnecting the back half of the driveshaft and unbolting the transfer case - which then drops straight down.

//greg//

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #15  
I'd also suggest draining the transmission/transfer case and then refilling with some kerosene or diesel fuel and then try again with the magnet - the broken/missing roll pin may have been held to one of the gears by the heavy gear oil and this should let it drop to the bottom. If no luck with that, then I'd again fill with diesel or kero and GENTLY run it through the gears a minute or two, preferrably using just the starter with the compression release pulled, rather than under power. Then check again for that pesky pin. Those things are just too hard to make me feel comfortable having it possibly in the gear train.

I have buttoned it back up, but I will drain it again and take another look this weekend.
Thanks
Brad

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #17  
Gears have zero tolerance for roll pins.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #18  
Just a thought, if you cant find the roll pin (I would try very hard to find it) purchase a transmission pan magnet and stick it to the inside of your transmission. If the pin is moving around it wont take long and it will be stuck to the magnet (hopefully before it destroys the gears). Its also just a good practice on non synchro transmissions. Lots of very fine metal particles from the shifting of gears will find their way onto the magnet as well.
Take Greg's advice, pull the transfer case box from the bottom of the transmission. Good chance that's where your pin ended up.

Ditech--

Ditech, thanks for the advice... I will be taking another look in the morning.

Regarding the transfer case, I did intend to explore Greg's suggestion, but when I look at my mental picture of the area under the gear shift, I'm a bit confused (Sorry, don't have the parts book in front of me). It appeared to me the only opening from that area forward was through a shaft bearing. Just wanting to confirm there is another opening through which a roll pin could pass and make to the TF case?

Well, I have this thing apart and based on Greg's considerable knowledge, I hesitate to say he's incorrect, but I'm not seeing the connection to the transfer case. The area called the "Drive Gearbox", page 32 in my manual, appears to be completely isolated fore and aft, with the exception of two shaft roller bearings on both ends. I know the roll pin could not pass through those bearings without catastrophic damage, and I ran the tractor for several hours after the problem developed (Though I didn't use 2nd or 3rd).

The transfer case draws lube from the compartment in front of the Drive Gearbox, where the creeper lever is located. If I'm right, it doesn't help me find the pin, but it saves me from pulling the transfer case unnecessarily.

Can't believe I can't find that bugger in such a small area!