284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #1  

TheSheriff

Tractor
Jinma 284
As the title states, several days ago my 2010 284 started jumping out of gear while driving, including reverse. It made no unusual noises and had no other symptoms, so I continued to use it for several hours to finish a job... I just held the gear shift in place with my knee. I completed my task and shifted from R to 1st and now it's stuck in 1st. The gear shift itself has no friction and feels disconnected.

Not looking for anything particular here, just wondering if anyone has dug into this area and has any pointers/advice... my schematic is rather vague.

Thanks, Brad

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #2  
Probably busted the shift lump off the shifter. I'd suggest calling Tommy or Jerry at Affordable Tractor Sales and get their opinion and then order the necessary parts from them. Or try Phil or Ben at Cirgle G.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #3  
Have you pulled the transmission top cover? These things are pretty simple and a good looksee might tell the tail. Possibles are a broken shift fork or a broken pin that holds the fork to the rod. That might be fairly easilly recovered. A broken fork not so much and usually requires the tractor/trans be split in two to get the rods out and a new fork in place...

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear
Thanks for the info.

No, I have not pulled anything yet, and I don't anticipate the fix will be too difficult. But with you guys as a resource, it never hurts to double check for the unexpected.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #5  
I broke a shift fork a few years ago. The cover on the transmission comes right off with a few bolts, no need to drain the oil or anything, you can look right in and see what's going on, goes right back on with no trouble too. My bet is if you take the cover off you'll know in five minutes what the problem is.

When I broke my shift fork, it was five minutes to take the cover off and see the problem, and once I had the part in hand ten minutes to put it in and put the cover back on.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #6  
Biggest concern about broken internal components is - how big is the broken piece and where did it go?. I once lost a 1/4" diameter steel bearing from under a shift lever, and six months later it trashed my transfer case.

//greg//

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear
Finally had a chance to pull the cover and it's a missing roll pin at the fork/rod. Thanks for the help.
Brad

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #8  
Well that's good news. You need to make sure that roll pin isn't in the transmission somewhere, it can cause a whole lot of trouble. I think I would drain the oil and see if I can spot it.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #9  
We have seen that happen a few times over the years, glad it was that easy of a fix.

Ben
Circle G Tractor Sales, Inc.

/ 284 jumping out of, and now stuck in gear #10  
I agree. Locate the old roll pin.

Chris