Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish

/ Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish #1  

Pirate

Gold Member
I only have about 170 hours on this. It seems lately that it has become a bit weak climbing hills and such. The engine sounds good but I have it floored and you can tell it is slowing down or bogging down a bit. Would sure hate to drive around in creeper just to get up a hill. When new it would fly up the same hill. Any ideas where to look? Thanks.

/ Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish
Would I smell clutch material if it was slipping? Any easy way to test it out? I'll whip a new fuel filter on and see if that helps. What is the typical life of the clutch? Thanks.

/ Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish #4  
Yes, you'll smell a slipping clutch. First thing I'd do is clean the fuel injectors. That's one version of fuel starvation. Easiest way is with a fuel tank additive. But if they're too far gone, you might have to remove them for professional cleaning.

New fuel filter won't hurt at all, but may not help. Usual test for sick clutch is when you have to start grabbing lower gears to keep the tractor moving. Unfortunately the variances between/among operators make predicting the typical life of a clutch impossible. Experienced operators can use the same clutch for years. Newbies can burn one up in a day.

//greg//

Thanks. I'll try the injector cleaner and filter but I am guessing that it is clutch at this point. All of my work involves hills. which can't be good on a clutch in the long run.

/ Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish #6  
One huge factor in clutch life is how it was set up when first put into service. From the Chinese factory, there is little likelihood that it is properly adjusted and it must be set up by the assembler at point of sale, or by the owner when he first gets it. Failure to do so will mean a short clutch life, just as "riding" the clutch will.

These two-stage clutches take a bit of care to set up, but if done correctly and driven correctly (either all-in or all-out, but no slipping it), one should last 800-1000 hours according to reports I read from users. That all-in or all-out rule applies to pretty much any tractor, by the way. Tractor clutches, unlike car clutches, aren't intended to provide a means of varying one's speed - that's what gears and throttle (to some extent) are for. Just jam it in and drop it out and deal with the lurch. Your clutch will love you, even if your neck doesn't. (grin)

When you change the filter, be sure to fill it with fuel before you put it on, and be prepared to have to prime the lift pump anyway. Just a fact of life with diesels.

/ Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish #7  
Also check your air filter, especially if you are getting any black exhaust smoke at all. When you work on your fuel system give special attention to the screen in the sediment bowl - check it for diesel bugs.

/ Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish #8  
Desiel bugs do this ------>:drink: if you don't get r done

/ Nortrac 204C/Jinma Y380 Weak/Sluggish #9  
Dose not sound like Clutch at all as the engine is bogging down as a symptom/lack of power. Clutch slipping the engine will rev up as machine slows down.

Sounds like dirty fuel filter/air filters or clogged screen in one of the lines/banjo fittings or collapsed line or clogged injectors.

Mark

Thanks all, great info. It would be nice if it was NOT the clutch. I will check everything out.