2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #1  

chris85

Bronze Member
Tractor
JM 284
Ok here is the story...

Back in October my tractor was leaking coolant from the water pump, wasn't sure if I would find a bad bearing or seal so I ordered new ones from Tommy at Affordable (super guy to work with by the way). Parked the tractor and pulled it apart. Cut to a few weeks later I get the new parts and reassemble. It was pretty cold by then so I tented the tractor and heated it up with my salamander; it turns over fine, smokes a little white smoke but will not run. Glow plugs seem like they are working fine, fuel was new and treated. I'm not at all familiar with diesel engines but I am thinking I need to check for some sort of contamination or obstruction in the fuel line. I read a few posts about checking for fuel flow start at the tank and work my way to the engine, I'm concerned that my lack of knowledge is going to cause more problems.
Is there any way my change of the water pump could have had anything to do with this or is it just coincidence?

Thanks in adavnce

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #2  
Ok here is the story...

Back in October my tractor was leaking coolant from the water pump, wasn't sure if I would find a bad bearing or seal so I ordered new ones from Tommy at Affordable (super guy to work with by the way). Parked the tractor and pulled it apart. Cut to a few weeks later I get the new parts and reassemble. It was pretty cold by then so I tented the tractor and heated it up with my salamander; it turns over fine, smokes a little white smoke but will not run. Glow plugs seem like they are working fine, fuel was new and treated. I'm not at all familiar with diesel engines but I am thinking I need to check for some sort of contamination or obstruction in the fuel line. I read a few posts about checking for fuel flow start at the tank and work my way to the engine, I'm concerned that my lack of knowledge is going to cause more problems.
Is there any way my change of the water pump could have had anything to do with this or is it just coincidence?

Thanks in adavnce
What was the temperature the day you ran it in October, and what's the temperature today? The fact that you see smoke tells me you are getting some fuel, how's the batteries charge and engine cranking speed.

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start
The last time it was running in October it was cold but like 35, since it has been snowing and below freezing. I was able to warm it for an hour tented but no go. The battery is brand new, cranking speed is good.

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #4  
White smoke indicates unburned fuel. Have you checked to be sure your compression release is letting the valves close? If the comp release was pulled or hanging there wouldn't be enough compression to fire and thus white smoke, maybe.

Have you tried to prime the lift pump with the hand pump? Or pulled the injectors to see if they're popping okay? If a diesel has sufficient fuel/air at the right mix and at the right time in the cycle and there is adequate compression, it just about can't help but start. So either fuel is lacking or or compression is lacking or the injector timing is off. Just gotta figure out which it is.

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #5  
We had a high today of 34. My Jinma would have trouble starting in that cold without some sort of assistance, I have the 4 cylinder version of the same engine you have. Could it be it's just too cold for it to run? White smoke sounds like fuel getting into the cylinder and not igniting.

I find a very short squirt of starting fluid (ether) and it roars to life when it's this cold.

Another possibility: the head gaskets on these engines fail very easily, which can lead to poor compression and hard starting (among other ills). If you had cooling system problems a consequence would be head gasket failure.

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #6  
The only time I have ever had an issue was when my glow plugs went bad.

Mine is a JM284 cira 2002 with the Factory CHINA Battery & still starts real well. usually a 10 or 15 count on the glow plug THEN crank it over. The compression Release is good to use too.

things to check are the Fuel Shutoff Rod, (make sure it is in all way) Fuel Filter & screens in the tank, & banjo fittings.

I would maybe try & fully prime everything by loosening injectors tube at the top & hand prime/pump till clean fuel is out of each one. takes a bit of pumping but will know if you are moving fuel to the injectors. It might be about time to change the fuel filter too,m not sure how many hours is on it.

also check the air cleaner make sure no Rats made a next in there. use a Hair Drier to blow hot air into the intake for a few min to help them start. I also have put a heat lamp onto my injector pump & injector lines to heat them up when it was real cold (Note a 500 watt halogen lamp will work too.) few years back I put a KATZ radiator hose heater onto mine & plug it in for half hour prior to firing mine up when it is less than 35.

Mark

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #7  
Was told a long time ago, that ether is like crack to a diesel engine. Personally I would never use it. Most of the guys mention what could be the problem. Fuel could also be contributing to hard starting. How old is the fuel, when did you buy it? I know in the winter time, diesel is usually cut or has kerosene added to it for winter use. Also some guys have had problems with bio bugs getting into the fuel lines, but Rich covered that with the white smoke coming out indicating diesel.

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #8  
My first thought was glow plugs as well. The usual reason on a Chinese tractor with low hours is insufficient voltage to the glow plugs. The best fix for that is the installation of a glow plug relay between the keyswitch and the glow plug buss bar. The OE wire can be used between the keyswitch and the relay, but 10AWG primary wire should be used between the relay and the buss bar. The second reason is that one or more of the plugs has gone bad. That means the tractor is trying to start without all the cylinders being pre-heated. On a tractor with higher hours, the glow plugs may simply have reached the end of their useful life.

The insufficient wiring issue pertains to the starter as well. A second relay situated between the keyswitch and the starter solenoid - and some more 10AWG wire - fixes that. I used inexpensive Ford-type relays for both.

//greg//

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start
Thanks guys..I will try some of these out..let ya know how I make out.

/ 2007 Jinma 284 (iron horse) will not start #10  
Something I forgot to mention is that SOME of the Jinma tractors came WITHOUT the Glow Plugs even/ever being hooked up. One place to check, Also check the Glow Plug Fuse as that may have blown.

Mark