284 FEL help

/ 284 FEL help #1  

b dukes

Tractor
285 MF and 284 Farm Boss and D31 Komatsu
I have having an issue with my FEL. It only seems to work when you turn the steering all the way one way or the other. I took the valve body for the loader apart and cleaned it as well as the valve that is between the steering and the loader. Found nothing Any suggestions ?

/ 284 FEL help #2  
I'd guess you have a steering cylinder that is bypassing. Get the rebuild kit form one of the dealers here and put it in and you should be okay again.

/ 284 FEL help #3  
I have having an issue with my FEL. It only seems to work when you turn the steering all the way one way or the other. I took the valve body for the loader apart and cleaned it as well as the valve that is between the steering and the loader. Found nothing Any suggestions ?

Do you have a valve between the pump and the loader valve?

Do you have the hoses to the priority valve connected correctly.

If so, it is probably a priority valve, and uses a fixed amount of hyd GPM's for steering, and the rest of the pump flow for the loader, remotes and 3pt.

Far instance, say the pump puts out about 8 GPM's. The steering would get a fixed 3 GPM.

The other 5 GPM would be available for the rest of the hydraulic functions.

The GPM's output of the pump is dictated by the engine rpm, so the engine has to be above a certain rpm to have flow above the priority flow.

If you run the engine at med to high rpm, you should have enough flow.

If you install a 3000 psi hyd gage in the loader circuit, you can monitor and trouble the hyd system.

Attachments

• 3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 104
  • 3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 117
   / 284 FEL help
Thanks , I will have to get a metric fitting for my gauge tomorrow. After working on it some more the FEL will work without turning the steering , but you have to hold the lever on the valve in one position for a length of time. Then it will move but real jerky. Oh and I installed a new pump near the end of last year. Probably have about 20 hrs on it since.

The 3PH works fine and I have removed the balls from all the QC

Last edited:
   / 284 FEL help #5  
ANd let me guess, it only moves slowly when the steering is at a stop? It sounds like the relief valve in the loader control is bypassing. If the loader control cannot build pressure, it cannot move the loader. By turning the sterring all the way to it's stop and causing it to relieve, it then provides enough backpressure to the loader to allow it to move?

/ 284 FEL help #6  
Can you verify that the pump fluid goes through a separate valve before it goes to the steering valve or the loader valve.

As I mentioned above, some hyd systems have a priority valve that always insures the steering circuit has enough fluid to operate the steering.

/ 284 FEL help
The way it is plumbed now ,it goes from the pump in the loader valve , out the loader valve to the priority valve.

/ 284 FEL help #8  
That is not the logical way to plumb the steering valve.

Did you or someone do it as an after market or is it a factory setup.

The reason I question this set up, is that if the loader valve were using all the fluid for cyl and motors and such, there would be no fluid left for the steering, and that could be a safety factor.

The steering is not on a separate pump, is it?

Do you have a schematic of your hyd system?

/ 284 FEL help #9  
I'm with Ronmar on this one, the Loader Valve Relief is stuck open, it is letting fluid bypass the valve. possibly a broken spring and or a O-Ring has let go. I had mine apart a LONG time ago so can;t remember WHAT it was like inside anymore.

My system is plumbed form the Pump thru QD to the Loader then out the PB out to steering divertor and into the 3pt valve to sump. The steering is affected by FULL FEL valve movement as it cuts off flow to the divertor valve & was way they ran them circa 2002 like mine.

Mark

/ 284 FEL help #10  
I remember RonMar's hyd schematic now.

Remove the relief valve on the FEL valve and check springs, and seat for any debris.