Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420

/ Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420 #1  

crappiequeen

Tractor
Farm Pro 2420
I sure could use some help, I have an older model Farm Pro 2420. Runs great, starts good, but here is the problem. No gauges work, replaced all fuses, checked all wires. Everything looks good. Now here is the unusual part. While running if you turn the key to the start position all the gauges work. I replaced the ignition switch a new one. Same problem. I am lost. Any ideas would help.

/ Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420 #2  
When running and you turn the key to the start position does the starter grind? Are you sure you are not turning the key to the on position?

/ Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420
The starter is not grinding(which I found unusual), but when the key is in the on position gauges do not work, they won't even work in the pre-heat position, only start position.

/ Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420 #4  
Check all of your ground connections. It sounds like your instruments are grounding out (completing the circuit) through the starter solenoid windings. You found that out by turning the key switch to the start position while the engine was running? Wow!

Could it possibly be the horn relay? That is the only thing that does not work, with the key in the start position. Lights and turn signals work but only when the key is in the start position. Then horn relay is the only thing at the fuse box that I have not replaced.

/ Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420 #6  
Have your gauges ever worked? With the old key switch?
RonJ

/ Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420 #8  
I agree with Tommy. The previous owner may have installed the wrong keyswitch. Remove it temporarily and tell us how many posts or connections are on the back of the keyswitch, and how many wires are connected.

//greg//

Thanks for all the help. You were right the gauges haven't worked since we had a new clutch installed. They had trouble getting the tractor started after installing the clutch, they used some southern technology(redneck thinking) to get it going. With your help I got my wires un-crossed. These post have been a great help with many of the smaller issues that I have had thank you again.

/ Gauges Won't Work Farm Pro 2420 #10  
You were right the gauges haven't worked since we had a new clutch installed. They had trouble getting the tractor started after installing the clutch,,,
My mind reading skills aren't what they used to be lately so it would have been very helpful to everyone to have known that up front.