Oil & Fuel foton 404 tractor fuel problems

/ foton 404 tractor fuel problems #1  

johnpa

Tractor
404 tractor king
I have just recently purchased a FOTON 404 FROM A DEALER --- i have replaced filters and any rubber lines with new ones... I have bled this tractor and all lines to thefuel pump and to the injectors and still am having problems getting it to run. I will get it started and it will run for 5 minutes or so and then shut down. i have also used the pump on the fuel pump to keep it going. When I got it it would run real well on flat ground but as soon as i went up a little grade it would cut out. Like i said it has been completely bled out and still am having problems. I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS A FUEL FILTER IN THE FUEL PUMP. VERY FRUSTRATING

FOTON 404-2005--SL3105BT NEED TO KNOW ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD E HELPFUL THANKYOU JOHNPA---HARMONY PA

/ foton 404 tractor fuel problems #2  
   / foton 404 tractor fuel problems
TOMMY THANKS FOR THE REPLY I TALKED TO HAROLD ALITTLE EARLIER AND I DID CHECK THE FILTER IN THE BOTTOM OF THE PRIMER PUMP AND IT WAS COMPLETELY CLEAN. THE FUEL IS CLEAN AND THE MAIN FILTERS HAS BEEN CHANGED,THE FUEL WAS EMPTIED AND NEW FUEL PUT IN,SEDIMENT BOWL IS CLEAN. THE ONLY THING IM QUESTIONING NOW IS THAT IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WHEN I OPEN UP THE PUMP TO PRIME IT IT LEAKS A LITTLE FUEL WHEN I PRIME IT. IS THAT A CONCERN OR NOT. ALSO ON THE FUEL PUMP I FOUND THAT WHERE THE AIR BREATHER IS ON THE BACK END OF THE FUELPUMP WAS DRY OF OIL IN IT SO I PUT SOME OIL IN IT ABOUT 6 OZ. I DONT KNOW IF THAT WOULD BE A CONCERN OR NOT THANKS FOR THE INFO... I STILL THINK SOMEWHERE IT IS SUCKING AIR AND I CANT FIND IT. THANKS JOHN FOLTON SL3105BT

/ foton 404 tractor fuel problems #4  
   / foton 404 tractor fuel problems #5  
Isolate your problem first. When the engine dies for lack of fuel, spin off the fuel filter housing. If it's not full, something in the fuel path between the tank and the filter is impeding fuel flow. That's the low pressure side. If it's full, the problem is AFTER the filter. Meaning - if you've got good fuel flow INTO the injection pump - it's a problem on the high pressure side.

//greg//

GREGG THANKS FOR REPLYING.----i think it might be the hand fuel pump I open the bleeding bolt ahead of the primer pump and im still getting air out of it but i think it is the primer pump leaking air into the injection pump. I have all good lines no leaks else where replaced a small rubber hose from the fuel tank to the sediment bowl to make sure it wasnt collapsing. replaced fuel filter =tightened all lines up there are no leaks there. also drained fuel tank and replaced with new fuel in it -checked injection pump filter it was clean === fluid moves thru everything just fine but some where there is air getting into the pump so im going to replace the primer pump it only leaks when i open it to prime the lines and stops when i push down and tighten the primer back in place== and the fuel filter i checked it after it quits and it is full of fuel===== THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT JOHN PA

/ foton 404 tractor fuel problems #7  
The priming pump is also the lift pump, and they use the same spring loaded check valves, and is driven off a cam by a push rod in the fuel injection pump. As far as leakage goes, some can be normal, just so it doesn't leak when it's screwed down. Diesel bugs can attack, corrode, and pit the check valve seats rendering them almost useless. Check your fuel pressure, you should be getting about 10 psig at idle, and about 25 psig at governed speed.
Did you remove the sediment bown from the fuel tank and check for an internal screen? You may have to thoroughly clean the fuel tank.

THANKS BOB IM currently looking into replacing the fuel pump. I believe that is where the problem is currently- thanks for all other info----john pa

/ foton 404 tractor fuel problems #9  
When it dies is there fuel in the fuel bowl? If not its the in tank screen.

Chris

Last edited:
THANKS FOR REPLYING CHRIS--YES I DO HAVE FUEL IN THE FUEL BOWL AND FILTER AFTER IT SHUTS DOWN IHAVE CHECKED IT A COUPLE TIMES TO BE SURE----THAHKYOU JOHNPA