284 Implement questions

/ 284 Implement questions #1  

Shirtman

Tractor
Jinma 254
Finally got everything fixed and running after the accident. Now I am looking to buy some implements for my Jinma 284. What size box blade, landscape rack, and tiller do you recommend? Sandy soil conditions and a gravel drive to work on.

Thanks for your help.

/ 284 Implement questions #3  
I run a 5' Bush Hog, a 7' grader blade, a 6' Box Blade, a 6' Finish Mower, a 7' Snow Plow, a 9" & 12" Post Hole Digger, a 6' 2 Row Angle Disk, and a 2 Bottom Plow.

I have the front weights on with my FEL, rear wheel weight, and rear tires filled.

Chris

/ 284 Implement questions #4  
On a 284, 5 foot wide box bade, scraper blade or rake will cover you tire tracks, so I'd keep it at that. Anything bigger is potentially hard on the machine if you hit something tough and won't make a huge difference in how soon you finish anyway. And, the wider they are the fewer places you can get into with them.

/ 284 Implement questions #5  
On a 284, 5 foot wide box bade, scraper blade or rake will cover you tire tracks, so I'd keep it at that. Anything bigger is potentially hard on the machine if you hit something tough and won't make a huge difference in how soon you finish anyway. And, the wider they are the fewer places you can get into with them.

I had a 5' mower and scraper blade. Neither one was big enough. I was always getting into the fence and trees with the tractor trying to mow and with the blade angled it fell way short.

Chris

/ 284 Implement questions #6  
I have a six foot snowblower, a six foot plus rake (I cut down an old eight foot), a five foot and 4 foot bush hog, a six foot box blade ( was used on my MF135) ,a five foot scraper blade, and a two furrow plow as well as assorted other "stuff" . The only time I have felt that any of them were too big was in three feet of snow and even then I just slowed down! The five foot blade is too small -- angled it does not cover the wheels. The rake is fine at over six feet and if the plow or the box blade cause any problems I set them for less bite and make more passes. The four foot bush hog was bought at first and is now used just for tight spots. The cover the wheels adage is fine if the implement does so at all angles (like blades and rakes)

/ 284 Implement questions #7  
I would also suggest a bigger blade. handy to angle, but then not as wide as the rear tires when you do, so you can't get it up against anything, say the edge of that driveway to pull the gravel back to the middle?. Being longer, or being able to offset to one side or the other is handy for this or if you are planning on shallow ditches or swales that need cleaning occasionally. I would also reccomend a set of gauge wheels for the blade. Unless you plan on moving a lot of dirt, a box scraper probably won't get used very much, and much of what it is good at can also be handeled with a blade and adjustable gauge wheels. Being able to offset a brushhog would also be handy if you have any fenceline, as it can be difficult as described above without a special trimmer added to the mower. A 5 footer is about the HP limit for a 284, and some makes are a pretty heavy for the 284's 3PH...

A chain harrow is also pretty handy for grooming the gravel drive, I use mine all the time.

/ 284 Implement questions #8  
I run a 5' Bush Hog, a 7' grader blade, a 6' Box Blade, a 6' Finish Mower, a 7' Snow Plow, a 9" & 12" Post Hole Digger, a 6' 2 Row Angle Disk, and a 2 Bottom Plow.

I have the front weights on with my FEL, rear wheel weight, and rear tires filled.

Chris

Well said, my setup is similar to though I bought used stuff for the most part.
6' box blade (NEW when tractor was new), root/rock rake & Grader blade with 5' brush hog & 5' finish mower. I also have a 46" tiller (Bit too small to cover wide tire stance) 2x16 Ferguson Plow (bit too big works due to mold boards & welded on kickers) and had a 6' rotary/brush hog a bit too big in tall weedy grass or on slopes so traded for the 5'. I have home built forks NEW with tractor backhoe JW03 & ZL20 FEL (bucket is smaller than tire width as I have WIDE stance on my wheels.) The FEL was put on when new & has never been taken off with 500 hours on mine.

Biggest things to watch out for is Loader Work, DON'T use the FEL in 4x4 you can easily shear off the front hub/axle <-- did that 2 times now.

Other items on the Backhoe I've broken Hyd Cylinders 2 times be tearing off the end of the rod & built my own ends and welded onto the rods myself...

Mark

/ 284 Implement questions #9  
I have a 284, but donot have too many implaments. Just a 5 foot bush hog and a 5 foot rear blade (I am looking for a 6 or 7 foot rear blade, the 5 foot is too smal) and a 3 point triangle thing with 2 hooks on it for skidding logs. I have been thinking of attaching a seat to the log skidder thing so the wife dos'nt have to walk to sunday go to meetings