High pitch squeal

/ High pitch squeal
Greg,

3RL did add a zerk fitting to lube the carrier from out side. He used a pc of gease gun flex hose. The zerk I'm talking about is to the left/back in the photo I just posted. There is a small plastic plug covering access on the right side near the inspection cover. It was determined to lube the shaft where it went into the shuttle shift housing.

Patrick T

/ High pitch squeal
Tommy,

I still have the extra gear oil in there after a 2 hour project. At first, the squeal reappeared but soon after went away. Knowing the PTO shaft runs through the drive shaft, I planned to run the PTO at the same time. But as you might have seen in the above thread, my handle has been off for quite some time. So the plan is to get the PTO selector handle welded back on so I can run the PTO. I have only used the PTO once in 160 hrs and that was when I had 10 hrs on her.

At this point it much better. Hopefully, it's not just my wishful thinking. Is it bad to keep running with the extra gear oil?

Patrick T

/ High pitch squeal #14  
The grease fitting shown lubes the front transmission input shaft bearing. Seems the sticker warning to lubricate this has been misinterpreted to mean the TOB itself.

/ High pitch squeal #15  
Is it bad to keep running with the extra gear oil?
No. But I doubt it was even necessary in the first place. Nor is engaging the PTO when not otherwise in use. Have you actually viewed and appraised the condition of your TOB and release fingers?? I ask, because I've got a feeling that you're avoiding pursuit of any issue that might involve splitting the tractor.

//greg//

/ High pitch squeal
Greg,

Definitely spiting the tractor will be the last option. So no I have not viewed through he inspect port because it's covered by FEL mounts. Not only do I have to remove the FEL, but also the mounts. But it looks like that is my next move. The squeal is still hear and there. It does stop if I tap the clutch. So I'm betting you are correct about the finger adjustments. hopefully the parts are in good condition so I won't have to split.

I have split once before and it's not bad, just very time consuming.

Patrick T

/ High pitch squeal #17  
I can sympathize with your hesitancy. But what about simply looking thru that port you photographed?. You may not be able to easily adjust thru there, but aren't you the least bit curious as to what you might see under that little plate?

//greg//

/ High pitch squeal
Greg,

I am very curious but the plate is hidden behind the FEL mount. The other plate is the flywheel timing marks, so far far away from the clutch fingers. I saw good photos from 3RL's clutch job and the only window to see is under FEL mount. He even complained the window was real small for adjustments.

Looks like I will be removing the FEL and mounts

/ High pitch squeal #19  
Perhaps my hands are smaller, or I was using a different type wrench. Because I seemed to have adequate working room to the point where I checked/adjusted my Kama TOB/clutch fingers at least once a year. That said, I had the advantage on that tractor of not having to drop a loader mount. So I guess I must have been thinking of my TaiShan. The clutch inspection port was in a location that suffered no interference from the loader.

//greg//