High pitch squeal

/ High pitch squeal #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Good day,

I have a KAMA 454. I have an intermittent issue. After tractor is warmed up and I have done some grading or such, I get a high pitch squeal. It will last for 5 seconds or so. I recall, It will stop if I push in the clutch. My first thought is throw out bearing. But I would think it would squeal when I depressed the clutch, not in gear with clutch out.

I think my access to the throw out bearing is blocked by my FEL mount. I understand, some of the KAMAs had a small hole drilled in the side of the bearing to allow grease to be squirted in with some sort of needle tip.

Is there any danger of damage to keep letting it squeal or...?

Patrick T

/ High pitch squeal #2  
Sounds like the clutch release bearing to me, too. They usually stop squealing when you put a bit of pressure on the release fork, just like you're experiencing. You will have to remove the one loader tower to access the clutch, but I'm not at all sure that will get you to the release bearing. You may have to split the tractor to do that, but I'm not at all sure of that. Rob over at CHINESE TRACTOR WORLD FORUMS - Home has a 454 Kama and has posted a bunch of pictures of his clutch assembly and work he's done on it. I believe he may have posted much of the same here. Search for member name 3RRL and you'll find his stuff.

/ High pitch squeal #4  
That's likely one or more of the clutch release fingers in physical contact with the rotating throwout bearing. Unless the TOB has already turned blue, you can adjust that out. Here's where I hope my memory holds out, cuz I don't have a KM454 book anymore. Get a second person to help you with this. There should be an inspection port on the right side that should not be blocked by your loader mounts. Open the inspection port, observe the relationship between all three fingers and the bearing face. When in spec, each should have a 2.5mm gap. The fuel shutoff on the governor is within reach of the inspection port. Hold the fuel shutoff in the off position while a helper goes to the front of the engine, that way the engine won't accidentally start when the helper rotates the clutch pack. That's done by putting a large socket on the crank pulley and turning slowly. Have him rotate the engine so you can get a good clear look at all 3 fingers. What you want to see is no flat spots on the fingers, and no blue on the bearing housing. Flat spots and a blue bearing often mean splitting the tractor.

But lets just talk adjustment for now. The adjustment to move the TOB away from the fingers is on the left side (threaded segment of the clutch pull rod). Adjust till there's a 2.5mm gap as seen through the right side inspection port. If at this point all fingers are not equidistant, bring them into tolerance using an open end wrench through the inspection window.

//greg//

/ High pitch squeal
Thanks all,

Is this the cover plate to inspect? see attached photo

Attachments

• cover plate.JPG
    cover plate.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 245
   / High pitch squeal #6  
That's correct. And FYI, that brass colored threaded object at the top right corner of the plate is the tach sensor.

Oh. And while the clutchpack is turning, look also for a pinhole on the side of the TOB housing. You might have to reach in with a tool to rotate the bearing yourself. A hole means its a greasable bearing, one that you should have serviced years ago. If the tractor came with a pointy tipped grease gun, that's what it's for. No hole means it's a sealed bearing; no user lubrication requirement.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / High pitch squeal
Thanks Greg. I'll take a look this weekend.

Patrick T

/ High pitch squeal #8  
No problem. I see my memory - or at least that part of it - is still working. Reason I mentioned the tach sensor was the rust on the (formerly) white connector. If you start having tach issues, that's the first place I'd look.

//greg//

/ High pitch squeal
Greg,

I read through 3RL clutch repair. The finger adjustment is behind the "hidden door". That is to say, behind the FEL mount. While reading his post, he mentioned a grease fitting to a bearing just behind the TOB , towards the back. I have not lubed this for a while so maybe the source of the squeal. It only make noise at high RPMs just moving along.

I'll try lubing the bearing with hopes that might cure it. If not, I'll have to remove the FEL and the fixed portion as well.

Patrick T

Attachments

• 3RL inspection.png
    3RL inspection.png
    989.3 KB · Views: 272
  • back bearing.png
    back bearing.png
    968.3 KB · Views: 280
   / High pitch squeal #10  
OK, I had a 454 with no loader. Told you my memory was going....Guess I adjusted the fingers on my 454 elsewhere. That grease fitting by the way, is not for the bearing. Again memory is a fleeting thing, but I think that's for the bearing carrier. But he also added an extra fitting of his own, so don't get his configuration confused with yours.

If you see a tiny hole in the side of the TOB housing, that's the grease point. No hole means you have a sealed bearing. The bearing carrier might actually need some grease, but it won't stop the "high pitched squeal" you originally described

//greg//