Head Torque valve adjustment

/ Head Torque valve adjustment #1  

succor

Silver Member
Tractor
foton 254
Just wondering if anyone has a step by step procedure for the head torque and valve adjustment for a foton 254 with the laighdong 25hp engine. My manual doesn,t have it and I dont want to screw it up. Thanks.
Cory

/ Head Torque valve adjustment #2  
Larry Gugliotta did a pretty comprehensive documentation of doing it on his 2005 JM-254 with the TY395 E3 engine. That's a different tractor and engine than you have, but the fundamental process remains the same closely enough that it should give you what you need providing you use the torque and valve lash values specified for your Laidong engine. YOu can see his thread here: CHINESE TRACTOR WORLD FORUMS - TY395 Valve Adjustment & Head Bolt re-torque

If you take good pictures as you disassemble things you'll have no trouble getting them back together right. You can do it!

/ Head Torque valve adjustment #3  
I don't recommend that. Larry has/had a 35 hp tractor. The TY395 and LD385 don't likely share a common torque spec, maybe not even the same tightening sequence. I recommend buying a copy of the LaiDong engine manual. That's where you'll find what you need regarding this and other engine-specific tasks that aren't in the tractor manual. It looks like
Raymore New Holland sells - or may have sold - Foton. Perhaps they can assist.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Head Torque valve adjustment #4  
   / Head Torque valve adjustment #5  
Greg,

I can't see why Cory would have a problem as long as he follows the advice I gave, which was "providing you use the torque and valve lash values specified for your Laidong engine." The process is fairly constant from engine to engine and tractor to tractor, only the minor details and specs change. The TY395 torque sequence is common to many simple diesel engines and shouldn't be a problem on a Laidong. Hence my recommendation to Cory, which I stand behind, despite your naysaying.

You might ought to really read what I post before you gainsay it.

Cory,

If you don't have a Foton dealer known or convenient to you, I recommend you call Tommy at Affordable or his brother-in-law John at Discount. They are both extremely knowledgeable with years of experience selling and servicing Chinese tractors and their advice is worth taking. They're a good source for parts too, and will send them to Canada with no problem. Tommy has supplied me with parts for a five years now and given me much very valuable advice, allowing me to handle any work my tractor has needed.

/ Head Torque valve adjustment #7  
Greg,

I can't see why Cory would have a problem as long as he follows the advice I gave, which was "providing you use the torque and valve lash values specified for your Laidong engine." The process is fairly constant from engine to engine and tractor to tractor, only the minor details and specs change. The TY395 torque sequence is common to many simple diesel engines and shouldn't be a problem on a Laidong. Hence my recommendation to Cory, which I stand behind, despite your naysaying.

You might ought to really read what I post before you gainsay it.

Cory,

If you don't have a Foton dealer known or convenient to you, I recommend you call Tommy at Affordable or his brother-in-law John at Discount. They are both extremely knowledgeable with years of experience selling and servicing Chinese tractors and their advice is worth taking. They're a good source for parts too, and will send them to Canada with no problem. Tommy has supplied me with parts for a five years now and given me much very valuable advice, allowing me to handle any work my tractor has needed.
:thumbsup: I saw your advice as complete and good. Hard to go wrong from it, but I guess one with zero experience with interacting factors could. You can easily hit that wall with a shop manual as well.
larry