Silver Member
    Tractor
    foton 254

Default Head Torque valve adjustment

Just wondering if anyone has a step by step procedure for the head torque and valve adjustment for a foton 254 with the laighdong 25hp engine. My manual doesn,t have it and I dont want to screw it up. Thanks.
    Cory

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma JM304

Default Re: Head Torque valve adjustment

Larry Gugliotta did a pretty comprehensive documentation of doing it on his 2005 JM-254 with the TY395 E3 engine. That's a different tractor and engine than you have, but the fundamental process remains the same closely enough that it should give you what you need providing you use the torque and valve lash values specified for your Laidong engine. YOu can see his thread here: CHINESE TRACTOR WORLD FORUMS - TY395 Valve Adjustment & Head Bolt re-torque

If you take good pictures as you disassemble things you'll have no trouble getting them back together right. You can do it!

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

I don't recommend that. Larry has/had a 35 hp tractor. The TY395 and LD385 don't likely share a common torque spec, maybe not even the same tightening sequence. I recommend buying a copy of the LaiDong engine manual. That's where you'll find what you need regarding this and other engine-specific tasks that aren't in the tractor manual. It looks like
    Raymore New Holland sells - or may have sold - Foton. Perhaps they can assist.

//greg//
    Last edited by greg_g; 04-12-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Advertiser
    Platinum Member

//greg//
    While I know you are not going to refer anybody to us ,Discount Tractor in Texas buys parts and manuals from me.Thats my Sister and Husbands Company.

Succor,you are welcome to call us also for Manuals or parts for your tractor and engine,we would be glad to help you

Tommy
    Affordable Tractor Sales
    "Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
    Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

Tommy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma JM304

Greg,

I can't see why Cory would have a problem as long as he follows the advice I gave, which was "providing you use the torque and valve lash values specified for your Laidong engine." The process is fairly constant from engine to engine and tractor to tractor, only the minor details and specs change. The TY395 torque sequence is common to many simple diesel engines and shouldn't be a problem on a Laidong. Hence my recommendation to Cory, which I stand behind, despite your naysaying.

You might ought to really read what I post before you gainsay it.

Cory,

If you don't have a Foton dealer known or convenient to you, I recommend you call Tommy at Affordable or his brother-in-law John at Discount. They are both extremely knowledgeable with years of experience selling and servicing Chinese tractors and their advice is worth taking. They're a good source for parts too, and will send them to Canada with no problem. Tommy has supplied me with parts for a five years now and given me much very valuable advice, allowing me to handle any work my tractor has needed.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    foton 254

Thanks for the advice Rich, will do!

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Waugh View Post
    Greg,

I can't see why Cory would have a problem as long as he follows the advice I gave, which was "providing you use the torque and valve lash values specified for your Laidong engine." The process is fairly constant from engine to engine and tractor to tractor, only the minor details and specs change. The TY395 torque sequence is common to many simple diesel engines and shouldn't be a problem on a Laidong. Hence my recommendation to Cory, which I stand behind, despite your naysaying.

You might ought to really read what I post before you gainsay it.

Cory,

If you don't have a Foton dealer known or convenient to you, I recommend you call Tommy at Affordable or his brother-in-law John at Discount. They are both extremely knowledgeable with years of experience selling and servicing Chinese tractors and their advice is worth taking. They're a good source for parts too, and will send them to Canada with no problem. Tommy has supplied me with parts for a five years now and given me much very valuable advice, allowing me to handle any work my tractor has needed.
    I saw your advice as complete and good. Hard to go wrong from it, but I guess one with zero experience with interacting factors could. You can easily hit that wall with a shop manual as well.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder