Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Default Re: Liquid filled tires

Forgot to mention that - unless you live in a bog - there should be little concern about loaded R4s cutting ruts. They're wide for a reason, it's called the "footprint". That means how many square inches of tire tread is supporting the tractor at any given time; pounds per square inch of tire contact. Narrow ag type tires (R1) can and do rut in many conditions; small footprint.. And ballast makes them cut even deeper. R4s are meaningfully wider, and R3s (turfs) are often even wider. These respectively larger footprints simply provide more square inches of tire distributing the weight over a larger patch of ground.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    Got lots of experts on this thread huh Cleat....

I used windshield washer fluid. Got a smokin deal at the local auto dealership. 180 gallon for $200. Filled to 12 oclock is perfect. I pumped mine in similar to how you did it. Kinda slow but worked fine. And like you,,, locally the tire shops wanted an insane amount of money to add RimGuard.

You'll notice a big difference of the tractor's ability now.

Lastly, didn't realize the myth of straight anti-freeze freezing was still alive??? Guess they better quit storing it in unheated warehouses and hauling it in unheated trucks huh...
    Same here. I use WWF. Last time I bought it for $38 for a 55gal drum.

Like you they wanted something like $8 per gallon for Rim Guard.

Chris

Holy crap! With all the fuss on this subject, I think that a heavy boxblade might be the best option. No toxic issue, no freeze point issue, its a usefull tool most tractor owners already have, you can pile inexpensive bags of quickcrete on it until you give out, and its weight is a better counterbalance for the FEL. Hmm...I think I have made up my mind.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I was curious, so I had to look it up.

Ethylene glycol disrupts hydrogen bonding when dissolved in water. Pure ethylene glycol freezes at about −12 ーC (10.4 ーF), but when mixed with water molecules, neither can readily form a solid crystal structure, and therefore the freezing point of the mixture is depressed significantly. The minimum freezing point is observed when the ethylene glycol percent in water is about 70%, as shown below. This is the reason pure ethylene glycol is not used as an antifreeze謡ater is a necessary component as well.
    this is from wikipedia, I guess the jury is still out on the validity of the info there, but I trust it... usually Ethylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

other types are probably different of course.

A point many are missing here is that ethylene -glycol antifreeze as it comes out of the jug already has some water mixed with it. It varies by brand and you need to read the directions to get the right mix for that brand. A jug I have on hand has a chart on it that shows the highest protection at a 70% mix of that product as shipped with 30% clean water. You would have to look long and hard to find some shipped at 100% ethylene glycol but I suppose many have assumed the stuff they are getting is 100% without reading the label.

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Like you they wanted something like $8 per gallon for Rim Guard.
    RimGuard is sold to all dealers at exactly the same price per gallon. Granted, transportation costs increase with delivery distance. But not enough to account for such a major discrepancy. I still have the receipt to document that I was charged $2.70/gal installed, and some members have reported getting it for even less. I think $2.32/gal was the lowest posted. Unfortunately RimGuard itself does not sell to the general public, instead guarantees exclusive sales territories to their dealers. Pretty good recipe for price gouging. So it seems pretty clear that the $8/gal you cite must include a significantly inflated "installation charge".

//greg//
    Last edited by greg_g; 04-17-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by nrwdmk View Post
    Holy crap! With all the fuss on this subject, I think that a heavy boxblade might be the best option. No toxic issue, no freeze point issue, its a usefull tool most tractor owners already have, you can pile inexpensive bags of quickcrete on it until you give out, and its weight is a better counterbalance for the FEL. Hmm...I think I have made up my mind.
    What about when youre pullin it?
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Dongfeng 254G2

Well, I just got done grading my gravel drive and was at one time pulling with the box scraper full to the top on level ground and there was no noticeable wheel slip at all. 2 weeks ago I would have required 4WD and I can now do it in 2WD.

I am a happy camper.

Cleat
    DF 254G2 with cab and Townsunny fel-250 loader with Prince Hydraulics joystick. BE 72" finishing mower and 72" snowblower with hydraulic rotation and deflection. Hydraulic top link, 72" Townsunny box blade. Adaptor to mount 3pt attachments on front end loader in place of the bucket. Woodmax 8" hydraulic feed wood chipper (makes the poor DF work). Pallet forks that mount front or rear.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by cleat View Post
    Well, I just got done grading my gravel drive and was at one time pulling with the box scraper full to the top on level ground and there was no noticeable wheel slip at all. 2 weeks ago I would have required 4WD and I can now do it in 2WD.

I am a happy camper.

Cleat
    And that my friend is the goal!!!!
    Richard
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by greg_g View Post
    RimGuard is sold to all dealers at exactly the same price per gallon. Granted, transportation costs increase with delivery distance. But not enough to account for such a major discrepancy. I still have the receipt to document that I was charged $2.70/gal installed, and some members have reported getting it for even less. I think $2.32/gal was the lowest posted. Unfortunately RimGuard itself does not sell to the general public, instead guarantees exclusive sales territories to their dealers. Pretty good recipe for price gouging. So it seems pretty clear that the $8/gal you cite must include a significantly inflated "installation charge".

//greg//
    Yea, I remember a setup fee of like $50 per wheel.

WWF is common practice here.

Chris

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast