Liquid filled tires

/ Liquid filled tires #31  
I finally got around to filling my rear tires. Tire size is 15-19.5NHS R4. I used RV antifreeze and put in around 220 litres (58 gallons). Total cost was around $210.00.

I figure I just added around 470lbs to the rear of my tractor. That should help with traction and stability.

I used a small submersible pump in a pail and an old hose from a tire pump to fill the tires until liquid was at the valve with the valve at the 12:00 position. Took around 2 hours to do both tires.

Hopefully I will not require 4x4 as often.

Cleat

One way of looking at that "hope" is that when (not IF) you get stuck in 2WD with loaded rears the 4WD is less likely to get you out (-:
i.e. things will have progressed to where you will not just be Stuck, it will be "stuck but good 'n stuck".
Better be good at working your way out with the bucket (-:

/ Liquid filled tires #32  
One way of looking at that "hope" is that when (not IF) you get stuck in 2WD with loaded rears the 4WD is less likely to get you out
Well, that's clearly a glass half empty viewpoint. So how do you regard owners who ballast all four corners on a 4wd tractor?

//greg//

/ Liquid filled tires #33  
Well, that's clearly a glass half empty viewpoint. So how do you regard owners who ballast all four corners on a 4wd tractor?

//greg//
The need for front ballast in the tires or mounted on a front rack would come form the work the tractor was set up to do. If you were pulling heavy drawbar loads without a front end loader mounted you might need front weight to keep the front end down so the front tires could help pull effectively. You owners manual should have a section telling you how and when to add front weight and how to determine the wheel slip to check that you have it right for the implement you are pulling. I plan to leave my FEL on most of the time and at 1500 lbs counting the bucket that is more then enough on the front so have not loaded my front tires.

/ Liquid filled tires #34  
My new tractor (NH T1520) is awaiting a trip to the CU and surrender of my trade-ins (JD & NH 1520s). I didn't ask for it, but 'rim guard' will be included, and delivery to dealers can't cost much here in 'beet country' (mid-MI). I'd have hoped the box-blade to be enough weight for using the FEL as has been in the past with a '1/3 yd' bucket (7308) ... well not always for big rocks, & would have thought the extra wt of R-4s (?) vs turfs would have added a useful bit on top of the B-B's weight. Doubt if I'd appreciate more weight up front when using the FEL to get 'unstuck'. :confused: btw: whether the new guy will adequately replace the other '1520s' I'm done parking a tractor outside with the 'Bumble-Bee' mini BH ;)

/ Liquid filled tires #35  
Hey, I tried an experiment concerning antifreeze freezing. I put a container of straight Multi Purpose Anti Freeze, OReilly's brand in my freezer. I also put a container of Windshield Washer Fluid in the freezer. Also put in a thermometer. The freezer temp was 0 degrees F. Neither container of liquid froze. Maybe other brands of straight antifreeze would freeze. Can't speak to that, only to what I stated above.

/ Liquid filled tires #36  
Gotta wonder if WWF has other than alcohol in it and whether we'd eventually lose some of it to evaporative leaking between pressure top-ups. Ovrszd, is the O'Reilleys A-F 'pre-mixed' (buying water) or 'you mix' type. (Do we fuss this much over what we put into our radiators??)

Weren't for the cost, Jack Daniels wouldn't freeze easily, and we wouldn't be depending on an 'emergency keg' hung from our neck when stuck out in the 'boonies'. (pant pant .. 'over here, shep!') :D

/ Liquid filled tires #37  

//greg//

Irrelevant to my post.
My point is that loaded tires will get him "FARTHER IN" to whatever he gets stuck in.
Engaging 4WD will then have less marginal benefit.
With unloaded tires the warning (wheel slip) comes earlier and as long as you are smart enough to back out of the situation - you usually can.
Blasting through ? - Yeah, lots of people on this forum seem to believe in that, they post heroic tales and pictures.
I think it is idiotic.

/ Liquid filled tires #38  
Hey, I tried an experiment concerning antifreeze freezing. I put a container of straight Multi Purpose Anti Freeze, OReilly's brand in my freezer. I also put a container of Windshield Washer Fluid in the freezer. Also put in a thermometer. The freezer temp was 0 degrees F. Neither container of liquid froze. Maybe other brands of straight antifreeze would freeze. Can't speak to that, only to what I stated above.

How long were they in the freezer ? and how big were they ?
How long do you suppose it would take 50 or 60 gallons of water (INSULATED in a tire) to even crust over at 0 degrees F ?
There is the surface/volume ratio to consider, e.g. when you double the height, depth and width of anything you increase the volume by a factor of eight, but the area increases by a factor of four, so there is half as much surface area per unit of volume - this affects the rate of cooling.

/ Liquid filled tires #39  
Regarding getting stuck with loaded tires: I have all four corners loaded and work my tractor in some areas where getting stuck isn't just a possibility it is a probability. With the loaded tires, I find that 90% of the time all I need to do is engage the differential lock and I walk right out - no 4WD needed. When the diff-lock alone isn't enough, the front wheel assist has always been effective.

The differential lock is one of the better features on these Chinese tractors as it overcomes the issue of one wheel slipping and stopping progress. Not only is it very effective, it isn't as subject to failure as easily as the front drive train is.

/ Liquid filled tires #40  
The differential lock is one of the better features on these Chinese tractors as it overcomes the issue of one wheel slipping and stopping progress. Not only is it very effective, it isn't as subject to failure as easily as the front drive train is.
Yes it is a very effective feature but it is not a new idea or exclusive to Chinese tractors. My 880 David Brown built sometime in the sixtys had one as dose my new JD 5045E. I'd say it is pretty much standard equipment on any well designed tractor of any size today.