farm pro implements

/ farm pro implements #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
A teacher at the school where my wife works just moved out of the 'city' and bought some land, and want a few hobby animals.. etc.. a horse.. etc, etc.
Her and her husband know absolutely nothing about taking care of acerage, past what a lawnmower/weedeater can do.. obviously that puts tractors out of their 'area' as well. Though they did know enough to realize that they were going to need a tractor for this project ( gotta give them credit there).

They also remembered from talking to my wife that i'm the 'tractor guy' around there.. etc, so they have been hitting me up for info.

Trying to be thourough, I sat down and typed them out about a 4-5 page letter with info on tractors that i've learned along the way.. from the archives here, and other boards. I basicallly went thru size, uses, application, tranny, and new vs. used, maintenance, and implements needed for specific tasks, and buying not what you need now, but also for what you will need int he future.

Their budget dropped them into the used price range.. say about 5k or so. They weren't interested in a loader at all, but were concerned with repairs and maintenance. After talking with them a bit, I've also shown them the new chinese jinma's.. which can be had for most used tractor prices. The two they have been able to go look at are farm pro models.. 1 being the 20hp 2wd model, and the other being the 25hp 4wd model.

They are essentially looking fo a mowing only machine, as the husband is trying to mow 10ac with a riding lawnmower.... he doesn't get finished before it needs it again.. and he cant mow the scrub/brush areas.

When they saw the chineese, they're eyes brightened a bit... a new tractor, with some warranty etc... in their budget.

I'm trying to edge them toward the 25hp model, so they can get a 5' brush hog... I think the 20hp model would only pull a 4' hog.... this will be a big time saver... it will just be according to their wallet, and mower price coupled with tractor price.

Here's the deal. for mowers, I know the light duty ones will easilly do thier property... just high weeds / brush.. occasional 1" sappling.. otherwise easy mowing. I had been giving them info on KK mowers as they are lighter, and therefore don't work the tractors hyds as much.. plus are about half the price of many others... though still 505-565 for the 4' and 5'. ( I've had nothing but good experiences with my 5' ).
One option I hadn't thought about though was the mowers from farm pro. Looking at them on the internet, they look light duty as well.. and the price is very attractive... but I've never seen one, and the local farm pro guy doens't ahve any in.. ( but can order them in ). I don't know about their durability... I would hate for them to save 150$ on a mower and get one that breaks / leaks all the time.. when a KK would be fine.

Anyone here have feedback about the farm pro rotary mowers? Price from dealers? Durability?

And am I correct in the sizing I'm guessing... 4' for the 20hp, and 5' for the 25 hp model?

As for the tractors themselves... I'm fairly ok with the chineese tractors now that I've driven a few. Yes I know they are a bit rough on the fit/finish side.. but I havn't seen one yet that would have scared me away. I also know that the farm pro jinmas are often the stripped down models... less options, or not as high quality labor on the assembly, so you might find cosmetic blemishes on the fit/finish for the hood / fenders, gauges.. etc.
These people aren't expecting a 8000$ New holland tc 18 quality of a 3400 jinma 20hp 2wd model.. etc... they know they are buying an economy tractor..etc.

Advice is appreciated and WILL be passed along to them. At issue is the implements, though other comments will be passed as well.

And yes, the local farm pro dealer is a small machine shop.. so they will have a place within driving distance to get parts / maintenance items, and the husband is probably wrenchy enough to do things like change oil, and fluids, etc.

Soundguy

/ farm pro implements #2  
"And am I correct in the sizing I'm guessing... 4' for the 20hp, and 5' for the 25 hp model?"

My tractor is 17 PTO... 20-21 at the engine and I use a 5-ft. mower. No power problems. Mine is 4wd, tho.

I probably would steer them toward the 25 hp 4wd model. He might see plowing, grading, and digging in his future and the 4wd sure comes in handy for that.

Oh yeah, wife won't let me fence in the front yard or get a goat so I guess I'll just watch the grass grow on the ditchbank and have a few cold ones.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ farm pro implements
Is that a finishing mower, or a rotary mower? I'm speaking about rotary mowers...
Though I believe a 17pto hp tractor could 'spin-up' the 5' rotary mower.. I doub't you coult take full rows with it in thick grass at any speed.

The KK mower I have mentions 25 hp minimum for 'satisfactory' results... though I'm sure that leaves a bit of 'cushion' for them.. etc.

Soundguy

/ farm pro implements #4  
Soundguy:

you're info sounds good to me, I've seen the 4' rotary and it was light duty but had a good stump jumper setup under it. blades were 3/8" thinck with a good6+" step up for the piviot section and a good 4"plus chanfered mowing section.

Not sure on the gearbox quality as I didn't really take a great observation on it as I was hoping for a 5" not particulary interested in the 4'ter. I would try and talk them into the 4wheel drive and turf tires as mowing is primarly what they need. perhaps a tiller for a garden? and a blade for snow & drive maintenance. they had tillers which were of questionable design but a box blade of good setup in the 5' range.

Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mark M

/ farm pro implements
I'm deffinately trying to steer them into the 25hp/4wd, as I teold them, you never know what you'll need 'x' years from now.. Plus, if they ever do decide to get it fitted for a loader, they will be glad for the extra 5hp and the 4wd for shure.

I also mentioned a box blade.. even a cheap one works wonders.. I considder the box blade, the 'swiss army knife' of tractor implements.

Normally I would suggest turfs for mowing, but the pasture they are rentovating is overgrown, and has 1 low wet area, and some questionable thorn bushes.. I felt the r-1's would hold up better. They aren't going for the finished lawn look.. just mowed pasture untill they get their horses moved in. The small area around their house is a lawnmower situation, etc.

Their money though,.. I figure either way.. they will be getting a decent estate size tractor. A little care and maintenance, and it should be easier than putting up with a 30 year old one.. etc...

I love my old tractos.. but seems like every time I go out to the barn, one of them needs something... Heck.. my 528n just blew a rear tire out 'sitting' in the barn... it deserved the new rubber though, as the old stuff looked oem!

Soundguy

/ farm pro implements #6  
Sounds to me like you are pretty much on target. My concern would be that these folks may have little mechanical ability or operational knowledge. Unless the dealer has been very thorough, almost certainly there will be some minor issues such as fluid weaping at a couple fittings. And proper maintenance should be performed. It's not like buying a new car where you just drive back to the dealer and say "take care of it".
I'm very pleased with my Jinma 224 and feel it is a very competitive and well made tractor. BUT, it also appears to me that an owner with high expectations and no mechanical ability could easily end up unhappy.

/ farm pro implements
I have a feeling that I as much as the dealer will be doing the 'email' support thing with them.. no matter what tractor they get.

I did talk to them at great length about leaks, etc.. and explained that the fit/finish of the jinmas wasn't like that of a 3X more expensive domestic model. I also told them that if they get a used tractor, that they might as well -expect- leaks.

It is true they have little mechanical ability.. but he should be fine with maintenance items.. like oil/fluid/filter changes... check the lugnuts, etc. Common sense items like a leaky fitting will just have to be dealt with as they go.. on a learning curve. When I got my first antique tractor.. the '52 8N.. I was used to a modern Nh tractor.. not something with leater gaskets, etc. And there was a lerning curve.. for the points ignition, and felt washers, horse hair pads.. stuff you don't see any more.. etc... but I picked it up.

From what I hear, most of the leaks on the jinmas come from oring problems. I hear farm-pro sells a master oring kit for just this problem... as you find a leak.. just replace out the apropriate o-ring.. etc.
At least if they have non-trivial problems, the farm-pro dealer they are/will be going thru is an automotive shop, and the mechanic there should be able to handle warranty, or non-warranty work, etc.

Soundguy

/ farm pro implements #8  
We run the 5' KK behind the JM184 in heavy blackberries and it works great. Plenty of power and no overheating. If I were mowing all the time a 2wd would be my first choice for many reasons.

/ farm pro implements #9  
Where can I find a parts manual for a 60 inch farm pro 3257 finishing mower need a belt and diagram for it.

Thanks