dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help #1  

reelnative

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 3500,cat 416 w extenda hoe,bobcat 853,john deere110,kioti 3054, taskmaster 426e
Hi I just got a taskmaster 426e trooper 2004yr tractor, its a dongfeng df254d or a eastwind 254 also, I guess they sold it under many names, but my problem is the p owner told me he was mowing a field and it just died on him, and he just walked away from it, and that was 5yrs ago, the tractor only has 59hrs on it and looks in good shape, but i know im going to have to drop all the fluids and change out the filters, it still has the factory filters on it , I checked all the fluids and there is no water in the oil, the water level is up in the rad, so I put a fresh batt in the tractor and tryed to fire it up, it would turn over but not light up, it did puff out a light white smoke out of the stack and out of the crank case vent hole, I cracked one injector line and got fuel shooting out, also pulled the banjo bolt at the ip and checked the filter in it, then i pulled off the air filter and put my hand over the rubber hose comming off the intake were the filter mounts and it almost sucked the skin off of my hand and collapsed the rubber hose so it felt like it had commpression, does anyone have any ideas why this thing wont start, its a yang dong y385t, any info would be great thanks

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help #3  
White smoke most of the time is moisture in the fuel,did you pump the primer on the fuel injector pump ? Do you have good fuel flow from the tank to the pump ? To the fuel filter ? No doubt its fuel related,you are just going to have to start at the fuel tank.drain it ( sitting 5-years ? Get all the old fuel out) There is a filter on the sediment bowl inside the fuel tank, there is a screen inside the sediment bowl, theres a screen inside the hollow bolt that holds the fuel line to the bottom of the injector pump.If you have good fuel flow everywhere it could be the Injector pump.My guess it is one of these screens and some water in the fuel causing the problems.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help #4  
x2 on the possibility of wet fuel. To test the theory without completely draining the whole tank, first drain any visible water from the sediment bowl. Then remove the fuel filter, empty it, refill with known fresh diesel fuel, reinstall. Use the hand primer to get any remaining air out of the low pressure side, try starting again. It won't catch right away, but be patient. Take advantage of the compression release (if working), and don't crank for more than 20 consecutive seconds. Let the starting system cool off for ~2 minutes, try again. More than 20 consecutive seconds of hard cranking - especially without a cool down period in between - shortens the life of the starting system.

//greg//

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help
White smoke most of the time is moisture in the fuel,did you pump the primer on the fuel injector pump ? Do you have good fuel flow from the tank to the pump ? To the fuel filter ? No doubt its fuel related,you are just going to have to start at the fuel tank.drain it ( sitting 5-years ? Get all the old fuel out) There is a filter on the sediment bowl inside the fuel tank, there is a screen inside the sediment bowl, theres a screen inside the hollow bolt that holds the fuel line to the bottom of the injector pump.If you have good fuel flow everywhere it could be the Injector pump.My guess it is one of these screens and some water in the fuel causing the problems.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales
"Your Jinma Parts Superstore"
Home of compact Jinma, Foton, and Koyker Tractors and Parts, Wood Chippers, Backhoes - Affordable Tractor Sales Company

thanks for the quick reply I had good flow out of the fuel tank to the banjo bolt under the ip that had the filter screen in it and the screen was clean and was getting fuel out of an injector when i cracked the hard line going to it, but i did try the hand primer on the side of the ip and it seemed to be locked, is it supp to move freely or do i have a problem with the hand primer, im heading to orlando for the weekend but when i return i will drain the tank and try with fresh fuel, I hope it isnt a ip pump, if it is what do one of those set you back 400 500 ? thanks again

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help #6  
If you are getting spurts of fuel from each injector line then the problem most likely is NOT the fuel injection pump. And if it was running before, the problem is not likely to be the pump timing either. If it sat for five years I think the quality of fuel may be the issue. If the smoke coming from the exhaust is white-ish grey and lingers in the air (does not dissipate rapidly) it is unburned fuel. This can be a symptom of low compression (covering the intake with your hand is not a valid way to check compression) and a cold combustion chamber. The fact that you say vapor was coming from the crankcase vent while you were cranking alludes to deeper problems, so I think a cylinder leak-down test is in order.

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help #7  
   / dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help #8  
...but i did try the hand primer on the side of the ip and it seemed to be locked, is it supp to move freely or do i have a problem with the hand primer, ...
The knurled knob on the priming pump must be turned counterclockwise first, then it will (should) pop up. Then you can begin pumping. When finished, depress and hold the knob down while turning clockwise until it stops.

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help #9  
You are welcome to call and talk to our Mechanic, he is very good at trouble shooting problems like that over the phone. It sounds like somthing simple. Our Mechanics name is George 866-363-8193

Nan
Parts Dept
Keno Tractors

/ dongfeng tractor with y385t wont start help
thanks for the info on the knob I pushed down and turned counter clock and pop it came up, but when i pumped it fuel was leaking out of it, could this be the prob ? I then cracked all three hard lines from the ip and fuel came out of them when the eng was turned over, so I dumped the old fuel out of the tank via the fuel inlet line to the ip and the tank only had about a qt of fuel in it, also when I pumped the hand pump it sounded like it was sucking air from the tank, hahahah could the po of maby just ran this tractor out of fuel and that is the problem, could a person really get that lucky hahaha, I really think that there is a prob with the hand pump tho seeing that it was laeking fuel, but then again this is my first chin tractor and maby this is just how there quallity is