Buying Advice replacement battery

/ replacement battery #1  

gerry101

Tractor
2005 Jinma 284 2010 cub cadet ltx1046vt
I have a 2005 jinma 284. the battery has finnaly quit. can someone clue me in to a good replacement brand & size?
the manual calls for a 900 cca.

thanks for any advice,

gerry101

/ replacement battery #3  
I'm surprised at 900 cold cranking amps (CCA). Are you sure it's not 900 cranking amps (CA)? Cuz I ran an interstate type 49 in mine because of the nice low profile. It fit in the battery tray perfectly, and blocked considerably less of the radiator fins. It's rated at 720CCA, and never failed to start the engine. That said, it's imperative to use the decompression release with the cold-natured Y80/85 engine series. But if you insist in having the extra CCA, the Interstate MT5/49 AGM is the same profile - and has 900CCA. But as it's an absorbed glass mat battery, it won't come cheap. I've got one in my garage that cost $165 wholesale. See the MSRP here.

/ replacement battery #4  
I have tried about every brand and type and find that Walmart batteries last as good as any and are no more prone to early failure than the $200 AGM round cell batteries. I had to replace one of those in 3 years. I get the ones with the longest warranty available and run them in all my stuff. Average life is about 4-5 years in our hot climate (heat is worse than cold on a battery) but the more you use them the quicker they will wear out. Excessive cranking to start will cause early failure on just about any battery.
Just look at the size of the one you have and replace with same size or largest that will fit in the battery box. Sometimes there is room for a larger battery but perhaps not on your tractor. 900 CCA is about as large as you will find in a standard 12 volt battery.

/ replacement battery #5  
Funny this came up. My battery just gave up on my 2003 284. Its my second. My first OEM battery made it till April 2006. The 1st replacement made it till August 2013.

I use Group 31 in mine.

Chris

/ replacement battery
Yes Chris, that is funny. My 1st one was a Ameron, built in India, & installed (new) in a 2005 Jinma 284. This is my first replacement battery. The Ameron lasted 9 yrs. The date on the battery was 2004.
If I could have located another Ameron battery, I would have been inclined to purchase it. After all 9 yrs for a battery is almost unheard of in todays hurry-up & replace market.
Thanks to all responses from all concerned parties. And yes I ended up with a wally world battery (not complaining).
Gerry

/ replacement battery #7  
I'm on year 10 on my Sears lawn tractor battery. Definitely needs to be replaced, but it still starts, so I don't bother. I have an onboard charger that I keep plugged in when not in use. I'm sure that has helped with the battery life. I'll probably choose a wally world battery for my next one.

/ replacement battery #8  
I have tried about every brand and type and find that Walmart batteries last as good as any and are no more prone to early failure than the $200 AGM round cell batteries. I had to replace one of those in 3 years. I get the ones with the longest warranty available and run them in all my stuff. Average life is about 4-5 years in our hot climate (heat is worse than cold on a battery) but the more you use them the quicker they will wear out. Excessive cranking to start will cause early failure on just about any battery.
Just look at the size of the one you have and replace with same size or largest that will fit in the battery box. Sometimes there is room for a larger battery but perhaps not on your tractor. 900 CCA is about as large as you will find in a standard 12 volt battery.

I just Installed a battery from Walmart Group 27 810CCA. 1000CCA above 32 degrees. It's the exact fit. You will have to remove the Head lights to get it in, but it works great hope this helps. Cost $107.00

/ replacement battery #9  
Funny this came up. My battery just gave up on my 2003 284. Its my second. My first OEM battery made it till April 2006. The 1st replacement made it till August 2013.

I use Group 31 in mine.

Chris

I think the Group 31 is what I run in my JM354. I bought it 'bout 4 yrs ago from O'rielly's it been a good one. If I remember right the Walmart store did not show a Group 31. Walmart will leave you wanting on various size batteries. bjr