did I break anything?

/ did I break anything? #1  

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
So I got this back together after changing the liners and the piston rings.
now when it fires I get smoke out of the exhaust, and intake both. I did have the head machined.

So I am going to try and find a spec on the valve clearance, and do that, what are the chances I bent a valve?
This is the Rhino with a 295 engine.
Thanks
Doug

/ did I break anything? #2  
If you hit a valve with a piston, you'd know it - the noise is heart-stopping. Check you valve lash and get it set correctly.

/ did I break anything? #3  
Yep, what Rich said. I'm surprised it started at all.
Didn't the machine shop where you had the head re-surfaced tell you to back off the valve lash?
As a starter, use .014" for intake, and .016 for exhaust. That will do until you find the correct spec.
Might be a little clickety but that's ok.

/ did I break anything?
OK, I got it, but very hard to get started, been pulling it. Then found the return line on the top of the injectors not connected would that cause it to suck air?
All of the starting issues I now have a bad starter now, so on my next day off I will have to see if it will start easier. When it was running it sounded better than it has since I have owned it. Maybe I am on the downhill side of all these issues. And can have a tractor that starts and runs well.
Thanks for all the help... again

/ did I break anything?
ok, I got the new starter on, and it spins fast with a charged battery. But it still will not start. I am getting white smoke. So I am going to check the valve adjustment again tomorrow, What could I be missing that would cause this not to start. It was hard to start pulling it, but sounded ok after finally getting it to start.

/ did I break anything? #6  
More fuel than necessary travels up the steel lines to the injectors, but they don't necessarily use it all for each piston cycle. The excess that doesn't actually go into the injector gets routed back to the tank. With the engine off, pump the hand primer. If your return line system is working properly, you should hear fuel pouring back into a partially filled fuel tank. But to the question, I don't think a disconnected return line would affect starting. More likely it would just spill raw fuel at the opening.

On a cold diesel that's just firing up, white exhaust is typically just condensation of moisture that's accumulated in the exhaust manifold/headpipe/muffler. Other than that, white exhaust is indicative of unburnt diesel fuel. Common causes include incorrect valve lash, incorrect injection pump timing, bad head gasket (not necessarily in that order).

//greg//

/ did I break anything?
I get a lot of white smoke, I always thought it was fuel. I get nothing out of the return lines at the top of the injectors, even when it is running. I have not moved the injection pump. I have just replaced the head gasket, so that leaves me doing the valve lash incorrectly, of an issue with the compression release that makes it easy to start.
I did have some help and someone adjusted something on the back of the pump. Do not know what it was, it is on the lower part of the pump. I will see if I can get a photo. He was supposed to know a lot about diesel tractors. Ya, he will never touch it again....

/ did I break anything?
after looking at this, I am getting air sucking into the exhaust when it is trying to start.
the spec I found is .35 and .40 does that sound correct? going to go adjust them to that and see if it helps.
Also tried to pump the hand pump and the handle came off and the rod inside is rusted, time for a new hand pump. but it should run without it correct?

Thanks
Doug

ok idiot here .35mm is .014

Last edited:
   / did I break anything?
The valves are adjusted correctly. i am having this sinking feeling that I will have a bent valve? can I tell if I remove the rockers will one of them be lower? of could it be damaged, and not noticeable from the outside.
Quite a learning experience this is...

/ did I break anything?
the parts diagram in the book calls the part that the "mechanic" adjusted to be the pull rod. What does that affect?

Last edited: