Buying Advice China to Oz with luv?

/ China to Oz with luv? #1  

gus3199

Tractor
kubota
G'day all, my first post, and a huge thanks for the mass of tractor information I've been gathering from you over recent months.

The depth of experience on tap through TBN is seriously impressive, and as a bonus you enjoy taking the p... out of each other.

I'm trying to gather as much info as possible about direct importing a tractor from China to Melbourne. I'd love to hear the experiences of others who've successfully done it. All that's stopping me at the moment is fear, mainly of not knowing anything about who you'd be buying from at the other end.

I'm thinking of a Dongfeng/East Wind, because they've been on sale here for around a decade, have a reliability record as good as anything else, and a better parts supply than most although the internet largely negates the need for that.

I'm looking for something around 50-60hp depending on price, primarily to maintain our 18 acres of hardwood forest and a long,
twisting, gravel driveway on about a 20% slope which suffers plenty of water erosion.

Can someone explain why the models I'm considering (454, 504, 554, 604) are all showing on the Dongfeng website as apparently available, but are listed as 'discontinued' under TBN's Tractor & Equipment Guide?

Oh, by the way, I don't own a tractor but had to say I did (Kubota) before the site computer would let me sign-on...it worked.

/ China to Oz with luv? #2  
I think maybe you just had to put something in the field for Tractor like "NONE" would have worked. There are some folks on here that don't have tractors.
By the way welcome to TBN. I cant help you with the Chinese tractor question though.

/ China to Oz with luv? #3  
If I'm not mistaken, a number of Chinese tractor manufacturers decided not to make their new machines compliant with EPA Tier IV emissions standards and therefore those models are no longer bieng imported to the US. That may very well not apply in Oz, though.

/ China to Oz with luv? #4  
Hi

Why not consider buying from a dealer like Midway Sales have tractors, dozers and implements for sale throughout Australia in Brisbane, Queensland, Sydney in New South Wales and Melbourne in Victoria. Farm machinery for lifestyle farmers, small acreage properties and hobby farms. Agricultural ? They have done all the work importing, Aust compliance and safety. Will cost a little bit more but not much more and much less hassle and risk. Remember there will be no effective warranty on a DIY import - you take the risk. Ask yourself how experienced you are at tractors? Diagnosing problems, servicing, fixing? On the other hand might save some money - might.

Mike

/ China to Oz with luv?
Thanks fellas for the input.

Rich Waugh, I'm aware of the various emission requirements, but still confirming what's able to be imported down under.

Mike Farm, my situation is that I don't make my living from a tractor, so I'm trying to keep the outlay to a minimum while still acquiring a unit heavy/strong enough to do the work required in my retirement. No big deal if the tractor's down for a few weeks or so while I chase spares/complete repairs. Country time you know ... if I don't do it this week there's
always next week.

Looked at buying locally, in fact would prefer it but can't swallow the financials.

Another Australian member on here detailed his costs for direct importing an upgraded DF354 with some nine implements. The all-up landed cost was a tad over $16,000AU.

Although not knowing the direct make-for-make comparison of implements, to buy basically the same Chinese package here would have cost $20,000AU more!

/ China to Oz with luv? #6  
I think if you stick with a decent brand like Foton, Jinma or Dong Feng you should come out fine direct importing. It will take some patience and plenty o fdetailed correspondence but others have done it successfully and I'm sure you can, too. Once the import is accomplished and you have assembled the crated tractor, the first thing you need to do is perform a complete set-up on it. Tightening everything, change every fluid to the appropriate, quality domestic product, adjust the clutch to specifications, and then perform a cautious break-in routine. After you have clocked the first five or ten hours during the break-in process you should change the engine oil. This rids the engine of any tramp contaminants like casting sand, flash or grit. Your engine will last longer and it is only the cost of the oil which in my book is cheap assurance that you have a clean engine. Do follow the manufacturer's guidelines on the break-in routine - diesel engines really require a proper break-in for long life.

Best of luck with it and let us know how it all turns out for you.

/ China to Oz with luv? #7  
Hello All, Importing can be Tricky with customs and all and you cant bring in anything higher than a 284-China isn't going to make anything higher than that with Tier IV compliance. We deal in Jinma and Mahindra Tractors and we can ship anywhere. You can either purchase a crate tractor, (one that you put together yourself) or a tractor that we have put together. When we assemble the tractors all the fluids are changed and we put not less than 3 hours run time to ensure that there aren't any problems. We sell every implement that you can think of and our stuff is reasonably priced. You can check out our web site at Jinma Tractor Dealer | Mahindra Tractor Dealer | Best Deals HERE or feel free to call 866-363-8193

/ China to Oz with luv? #8  
The kicker to that is that the prospective self-importer is in Australia. While you certainly *could* ship him a tractor and implements, I seriously doubt he'd be willing to stand the freight charges. And he would still have to go through all the customs stuff for Australia. I'd say he's better off trying to direct import Nan, which is not to taken as any criticism of you folks at Keno Tractors, who have an excellent reputation for service.

/ China to Oz with luv? #9  
That is very true Rich, freight can be expensive, and he would still have to deal with customs to Australia. It probably is in his better interest to import himself.

/ China to Oz with luv?
Well, from the responses so far, few if any Aussies have directly imported a Chinese tractor, or they just don’t want to talk about it.

So, I’m now looking for anyone, anywhere around the world, who has successfully imported a tractor from China and still has the contacts over there.

I noticed in another thread on here, DFAM, who says he works for Dongfeng, believes the major Chinese tractor makers are no longer selling directly to individuals. If so, that would appear to put another link in the chain of profit-takers on the deal.

I’ve covered-off most of the major ‘red tape’ issues down here, but my problem lies at the other end … who do you deal with, who can you trust, from where do you purchase?

I’ve confirmed that the bureaucratic side of the process is surprisingly simple … no import approval required, no emission regulations apply to farm tractors, no steam cleaning necessary with a new unit and no visual inspection to obtain road registration.

Any wood used for packing the container does have to be stamped in accordance with agreed international quarantine standards … I’d be looking to the customs agent for guidance on that.

Surely, someone has some good news they can share with me on this issue.