!! CLUTCH ADJUST GONE WRONG !!

/ !! CLUTCH ADJUST GONE WRONG !! #1  

KoonHunter51

Silver Member
Tractor
FarmPro (Jinma)2430
FarmPro 2430 4x4 (Jinma 304)
Problem: PTO Grind when using clutch, Drive clutch working, no slippage, pedal catches at top.
1st; I Adjust Stop Bolt & Clutch rod, very little relief of PTO grinding (Rod was bent a little)
2nd; Remove Plate to access clutch & adjust, starting with PTO
All 3 PTO nuts have 0.160 +/- gap & all 3 Clutch fingers have 0.200 +/- gap; Pic of PTO nuts before adjust
Clutch 001.jpg
Is pressure plate gap right ?
3rd; Adjust PTO nuts & lock at 0.035; Pic after adjust Notice arrow to pressure plate gap
Clutch 005.jpg
Here is where failure hit's me in the keister,
After PTO adjust, fingers are now against throw out bearing & will not adjust; 2 Pics of finger adjust bolt before adjust
Notice the lock washer, That should not be there ?
Clutch 004.jpg
The other 2 nuts were locked on pressure plate, they should have been on finger, right ?
clutch 3 001.jpg
Can not get fingers to adjust off bearing now

OK, help needed
Are inside adjustments done with clutch rod attached or not ?
All this was done with adjust rod off clutch arm
Is gap between plates right ? Pics in other threads look wider to me
Is 300 series Jinma same adjust specs as 200 series ?
I'm gonna loosen everything (PTO) back to see if I can get any finger adjustment
Looking at the adjust nuts condition & the gaps, I think someone butchered this adjustment,
I bought this tractor from a dealer in Ohio, & other than some minor snags, has been OK, in fact I was happy until now
David

/ !! CLUTCH ADJUST GONE WRONG !! #2  

Attachments

• ClutchPtoAdjA.jpg
    ClutchPtoAdjA.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3,648
   / !! CLUTCH ADJUST GONE WRONG !!
Hi Tommy, No gauge was used between plates
Yes, 0.035 was placed under the big nut

I can't figure out why the plates are so close, only has 140 hours, so I don't suspect friction plate wear
The plates were close when I begin
The PTO nuts were very easy to turn & I could have tightened too much, but I have now loosened PTO nuts & starting over
Will activate clutch pedal to see if that plate gap remains the same
David

My first thoughts Tommy, I had forgot about the bevel spring until I looked at the parts diagram

Since last post, I have loosened the PTO nuts & re-gaped to .038 Then I had a little room/gap at the fingers, but did not adjust,
I hooked up the clutch arm & clutch works fine, except for a little "chatter" when taking off, PTO still grinds, but very little
I also have concluded that the 300 series clutch, pressure plate gap is closer at the PTO bolt than the 200 series
I have not found any pics of a 304, but
I have found pics of 3 different 354 clutches & all have close pressure plates; Ranchandsupply has a good pictorial on a 354 clutch
I do have room to adjust the rod/arm now

/ !! CLUTCH ADJUST GONE WRONG !! #6  
here is a page on Johns Tractor site, I put this together a LONG time ago, one of the photos are what tommy posted above. I STILL wish I used some black or white paint marker to mark the plates for better view in the pics.

JMClutchAdj

Mark

Hi Mark,
I actually have your presentation on my tablet, & referenced when l was working on this clutch
Have been adjusting & tweaking a little more since my last reply
I have the clutch & PTO workin pretty good now,
Was able to adjust 3 fingers. 0.095
Drive clutch is great, no chatter or grabbing
But, springs & washers are not in/on finger bolts
PTO has no grinding now, but l do not have attachment hooked up
Clutch rod & stop bolt adjust helped PTO

A guy in Canada sent me a pic of his 304 clutch & the pressure plates gap was close like mine
He even unhooked his loader to take picture
David

/ !! CLUTCH ADJUST GONE WRONG !! #8  

A guy in Canada sent me a pic of his 304 clutch & the pressure plates gap was close like mine
He even unhooked his loader to take picture
David

That is a pretty nice thing of him to do! I STILL have never removed my FEL since the day I installed it after unpacking it from the crate. Those pics in the presentation I wrote up is as close to it's removal I have ever made it. Though it looks like it is about time for me to pull it as I have to swap put the battery some time this summer. (have a post about it in here (china tractors) section.)

I am waiting on my ambition to kick in, not sure where it went buy I know I had one at some point ??!?!?!

Mark

PTO clutch great now, drive clutch still catches at top of pedal
No slip, but I would like it to engage more to the middle of the pedal instead of the end/top
I did notice the clutch arm has a little "play" & not tight if the fork is unhooked

Mark,
I did see your battery post, that's amazing, especially after reading about how inferior the original battery is
David

/ !! CLUTCH ADJUST GONE WRONG !! #10  
0.035 was placed under the big nut
If you're talking about the set of compression spring adjusting nuts, I'm pretty sure I adjusted mine till there's ~2 mm of each spring showing. Hopefully that'll get the drive clutch to start engaging at or near 50% pedal travel. So if my recollection is accurate, that means your 0.35" gap is too small.

//greg//