nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck #1  

rhix

Tractor
nortrac nb3500b crawer
I have A 2004 Nortrac NB3500B crawler with 47hrs on it that sit for 5yrs and the steering clutches stuck, the left side finally freed up but the right side hasn't after about 2hrs of use. are there any ideas on how I might free it up with out major tear down,help greatly appreciated Ron

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck #2  
I was working on a 4010 where the clutch was stuck. I tied the clutch pedal down and went in for super. Came out and the clutch was free. Yes I got lucky but it might work for you too. Is there some kind of inspection hole where you can inspect the clutch? If you can wedge something in between the flywheel and the disc and again between the disc and the pressure plate while the clutch lever is held back, you should be able to loosen the clutch up enough to free it. If it's a multiple disc clutch the job gets a bit harder.

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck #3  
I have A 2004 Nortrac NB3500B crawler with 47hrs on it that sit for 5yrs and the steering clutches stuck, the left side finally freed up but the right side hasn't after about 2hrs of use. are there any ideas on how I might free it up with out major tear down,help greatly appreciated Ron

Sat for five years? Hmm. Most likely the clutch discs are rusted to the plates. There are no inspection plates except to pull the top cover, but then you can only see the brake band. If it hasn't broke loose after a few operating hours, then you will have to start digging by pulling the final drive. Not a bad job on these little dozers, just time consuming.

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck
Sat for five years? Hmm. Most likely the clutch discs are rusted to the plates. There are no inspection plates except to pull the top cover, but then you can only see the brake band. If it hasn't broke loose after a few operating hours, then you will have to start digging by pulling the final drive. Not a bad job on these little dozers, just time consuming.

thanks I was hopeing for a easy fix maybe soaking over nite or something.

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck #5  
I don't really know if this idea is worth a try or not. If there is evidence of heavy rusting when you pull the top cover off this probably won't work but if you take a large brass drift and hammer on the outside of the housing that the brake band grabs onto there might be enough of a vibration set up to loosen the multiple discs inside. It's a long shot and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not. If you do try make sure the clutch pedal for that side is depressed enough to release the clutch. Otherwise it's just like Bob Rooks said. By the way while Googling your crawler I found some adverts. One on eBay which sure sounds like yours was for a $2000 purchase price and the other was for $18000. So if you can increase the value of your crawler by $16000.... :)

thanks for the info.I saw the one on ebay for 20000,but it had a min of $10000, im thinking it was the same one,any way I will try the brass and hammer trick and see if that might work.

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck #7  
You don't want to try soaking it as that will ruin the brake band.
The steering clutch compartments are not vented, so if you plan on laying it up outside in the weather you should remove the case drain plugs and cover the hole with a screen to keep the critter out.
FWIW, there is no place you can hit with a hammer that will have any effect on the steering clutch.

where best place to by parts for this nortrac nb3500b crawer besides northern ,need steering clutches ,bearing,gaskets etc

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck #9  
From another thread: "Look up Ranch Hand Supply, Circle G, or Affordable Tractor"

/ nortrac nb3500b crawer steering clutch is stuck #10  
where best place to by parts for this nortrac nb3500b crawer besides northern ,need steering clutches ,bearing,gaskets etc

CRAWER?? Circle-G, Northern Tool, and Keno Tractors are your best bets. (sigh).